Look at this crazy thing!

Denette

1584d6caad2cbc9a648b10eed230b2f8.jpg3fe6fd53690540133713848e0d352bc9.jpg

I have no idea who made it, when it was made, where it comes from, or if it lasted longer than the show it was placed in.  I'm not convinced that this would be a very stable design - definitely pretty far on the "form" end of the "form and function" scale.  Still though, what a crazy design!

It is unique. Trying to imagine the build process, would be more interested in seeing how he went about it all than I am the final product (I tend to prefer stuff with a function to stuff that is purely "art", so this is the wrong end of the spectrum for me).

I agree. Structurally this looks like the tabletop would be kin to an end-grain cutting board, but obviously the whole thing is much thicker. I'm not a fan of the design as furniture, but as a show of technical skill it truly is impressive.

Now that I take a second look at it, I think it would be a really cool table for a modern diner if it didn't have all the dangling drip bits. I just can't imagine someone seriously sipping a cup of coffee while sitting at this table as it currently is. They'd have a huge wooden drip dangling about their legs and knees.

I've seen that piece before, I think it was a student entry to AWFS like eight or ten years ago.

There's a ton of joints there that can fail, but technically it doesn't break any wood movement rules...everything moves together in the same direction.  So as long as the joints were clean and weren't starved of glue, there's no reason to think it should fall apart.

22 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

But really, the dingleberries are worse than useless. Bad enough to scoot your chair up to the table and bang your knee. But banging your knee would torque one of the danglies, twist the cutting board top, and likely snap the whole thing in half.

Forget the dingleberries.  It's not a functional piece, it's a sculpture.  I'd take dingleberries over this "thing" any day.

95bc52306050233ce5694a3a58f98c10.jpg

• Like 1

But really, the dingleberries are worse than useless. Bad enough to scoot your chair up to the table and bang your knee. But banging your knee would torque one of the danglies, twist the cutting board top, and likely snap the whole thing in half.

Ooh. Didn't think about all that torque placed on the glue. Dingleberry failure due to excessive torque would be excruciating.

Forget the dingleberries.  It's not a functional piece, it's a sculpture.  I'd take dingleberries over this "thing" any day.

Only because the 'table' is wood, and David's dingleberries are stone! ?

I can appreciate art for art's sake. I certainly appreciate the skill involved in making either if these example sculptures. But in my opinion, "furniture" must be functional first, artistic second. Obviously, David isn't furniture.

Only because the 'table' is wood, and David's dingleberries are stone!

I can appreciate art for art's sake. I certainly appreciate the skill involved in making either if these example sculptures. But in my opinion, "furniture" must be functional first, artistic second. Obviously, David isn't furniture.

That's weird. I always thought David was an ornate hat rack.