My "new" (1896) saw vise

Tom King

It's huge.  Jaws are 15" wide.  The tilt mechanism works really easily.  The tightening screw is so long because it tightens against a fixed spot, and it needs to be longer at max tilt.  That's kind of weird, but other than that, I've been looking for a big'un for a long time.  This will allow me to file a full sized saw with one move.

The Stearns for comparison is an average sized saw vise.  It's been my favorite for years, but it now has a new owner.

I know people make wooden ones all the time, but it feels, and sounds better to me in a metal vise.  I only realized just recently that sound plays a big part in the feel that I rely on when filing a saw.

I haven't used the new one yet.  It's way too tall for me on anything I have to put it on, so I'll have to come up with some design to get it down to the right height for me.

newvisesmall.jpg

viseview2small.jpg

• Like 1

The Best Things.  It wasn't cheap, but I've been looking for a big one for at least 20 years.  Lee, at The Best Things said he'd never seen another one like it either.  The new Gramarcy one is pretty nice, but I use one that tilts for crosscut saws most of the time.

I still have a couple of regular sized ones in the classified marketplace here.