Bondo

I have a bit of a dilemma.  I'm making the plaques for my Boy Scout pack Arrow of Light awards.  My buddy has a CNC router table and offered to router them out for me. He still new to CNC, and so this is his first real engraving project.  4 of the 6 are perfect.  2 of them he had to flip the boards over and redo because one of them his hold down slipped and the other broke a bit.  So the fronts are fine,  but the backs have a bit of the engraving done.  No big deal,  they hang on the wall anyway. If i had more time I'd have him redo them.  But I'm m rapidly running out of time

My question: My first thought on repairing is to use Bondo (auto body filler) to fill the engraving then sand smooth and paint just the backs flat black. I'm not really excited about this idea but... Has anyone used Bondo to fill wood or anyone have an idea that may work a bit better.  The boards are 3/4" oak,  thats 10" x 32". The "good side"  will be stained with dark walnut danish oil. 

The other thought would be to laminate a thin board/veneer to the back... 

Anyone have thoughts

PhotoGrid_1455372092890.jpg

I'm just afraid if I use wood filler it will crack. I haven't used wood filler on anything other than small nicks or errant pin nails

I've used Bondo  before and it will work OK. Especially if you are going to paint the back of the project.

The only problem with Bondo is that you must mix it exactly and completely or it will sit-up too soon or not at all and stay soft. A bit of trial and error (the directions are on the can) will do wonders. Don't mix too much or too little and work quickly.

When I was peddling screwdrivers, I used to watch the body men mix and use Bondo and would be amazed how quickly they could mix, apply it to a car and start filing or sanding with in 20 minutes or so.

Thanks for the tips. I just talked to him and he's going to redo the 2. I he already has one of them running right now. 

I've used bondo before just never on wood. I just wasn't sure how it would react long term on wood. It was my least favorite option. 

Also I'll have to post pics some day of his cnc table. He built it himself. It's pretty neat

If youre painting the back just bondo it. Easy fix. It helps to do the bondo in 2 sessions. Buy an extra tube of the red hardener so u can see your mixture. Use about 3x as much hardener as reccomended, mixture should be pink, almost red. Work it in hard and fast, sand within a couple minutes, repeat process, paint. If you do it right it will be an invisible fix in very little time. ONLY if youre painting the back though. Otherwise i'd plane it off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk