Draw knife beginner questions

superman911_usmc

So I just got a draw knife and I'm learning to use it.  I have an issue I'm running into.  On the same piece of lumber some places it's shaving like butter and other parts it's splintering badly.  What would cause this?  Am I doing something wrong or is it the wood?  I'm pretty sure it's hard maple if that helps.  Thanks for your time!

Hickory will have a coarser grain and more darker streaks. Hard maple will vary in color but it has a much finer grain

Could be the knife isn't sharp enough , just a possibility . As soon as you see tear out try cutting from the opposite direction . Some areas of grain will behave better if you make shearing diagonal cuts, varying the angle you are holding the knife. Practicing on scraps is a great way to learn what works for you before you mess up on the pieces needed for your project.

• Like 1

With experience you will learn that careful stock selection will produce better results. Keep your eye out for the grain patterns that caused your tear outs and avoid choosing those.

I would think that you would want clear straight grain for a bow. Wether or not a naturally curved piece is good for making a bow the grain still can be straight and clear of swirls and knots.