Bench Bull

TheFatBaron

While not exactly a hand-tool, it's related. CShaffer was kind enough to sell me a Stanley 45 from his collection, and after a bit of cleaning and sharpening, I realized that my plywood-and-2x4-and-machinists vise bench presented some basic problems around how the heck to hold pieces for this sort of work, and I couldn't really improvise much.

Anyway, I originally considered building a Milkman's Workbench, but decided that would still be a bit far out. I ended up seeing the "bench bull" series linked on PW (1, 2, 3) and realized it was perfect. I built mine out of some cedar 4x4 left over from some raised beds, and hickory leftover from... well, something. The gaps are just big enough to sneak through some 5" jaw F-clamps, and at 2' wide, can hold a decent variety of pieces.

Needless to say, so far the bench bull seems like a great, easy to build, low-cost workholding platform, and surprisingly versatile.

Oh, thanks again, CS!

BenchBull.jpg.059b72f1ecbd8a3f24e50c76c5

56bfed2a03c42_BenchBullgrooves.jpg.90249

• Like 1