drawers - finish or not

Merlau

have 2 end tables in progress and they  have drawer lock joints for the frnt attachment to popular sides the fronts are R-oak which need to be stained and then toned to match sample that has been approved.  first problem is staining and not having glue issues on the joint, and my second issue is the toning needed before final top coat.  and as a broad question,, how do you treat drawers? finish all or leave just the fronts finished? have done it both ways but am looking for opinions from those with more wisdom than me. top coat is pre cat lacquer.56c9d0d1dba1f_endtable-insetdrawer.jpg.e

I usually put finish on the outside of the drawer box (just one coat) and leave the inside raw or a thin coat of wax inside, buffed out. I think it depends on the finish. If you are doing a gloss drawer front or a finish that builds, I wouldn't do that on the drawer box sides...either just wax or a single coat matte finish that will soak in. 

One more reason why stain sucks.

Put blue tape on your glue areas before you stain and try your best to keep stain out of them.  Then glue up, then finish.  I do finish the insides of my drawers but not with as many coats as the show surfaces.  Keep in mind if you finish the insides of drawers with oil-based finish you'll need to give it the better part of a month to off-gas before you stick the drawer back in the table.  You can always seal that oil-based finish in with shellac, or only finish with shellac in the first place, but that presents other challenges.

• 5 months later...

Is mineral oil a proper finish for the interior of drawers? The drawer will be used for clothes.

I'm not super experienced with mineral oil, so I'll just throw this out as a hypothetical problem. Since the idea with mineral oil is that it saturates the wood and remains an oil (it never really dries), it seems like there is a possibility that the oil could leave the wood and leave oily spots on your clothes. With wood movement from season to season, the pores which hold the oil could contract and squeeze oil out onto your clothes, right? Again, not speaking from experience, this is just thinking it through.

• Like 1

If I had to do a stain grade piece, I'd just build a separate drawer box and front, like on a kitchen cabinet.  Stain and spray the front, then attach to the box.  Yes, it is not as refined as an integral front, but it is stain grade red oak.  

For drawer use as in your diagram it is builder's/client's choice. For kitchen, bath, shop drawers I use shellac.

For drawers that will hold linens or clothing I do not finish. I do shellac the back of the front panel piece so that it is finished on all sides. I avoid heavy finishes on surfaces that will be captured ( odor problems).

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

If you are spraying a precat just spray the interior of the drawers once its assembled. Its quick and easy. I've done it and haven't had problems with odours. Just needs to off gas a bit before you put clothes in it

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I think I will follow this path. This particular drawer is huge and made from a hardwood that just doesn't look good without a finish.

• Like 2