Greetings from the SF Bay Area

cjtboy

Hey Everyone-

I've been poking around the forum for a while, finally decided I really should be participating given all the great info.  I've been woodworking only a few years, but long enough for my wallet to feel the sting of the hobby. Tools & wood are not cheap!  When I started out I was thinking this would be a cheap way to entertain myself and build things, ha... so much for that plan.  But I still got hooked.

I have a small garage shop in the Bay Area, but not 100% how long we'll be here after living here about a decade now. It has become mindbogglingly expensive with the Tech boom and whatnot.  We do have a few great hardwood dealers in the area though. Also some interesting maker spaces/shared shops which I used for a while but became somewhat frustrating (too busy, too expensive, beat up tools, far from home, etc). So, I am slowly building up my tool collection so I can work out of the garage.

Ok, well talk you all in the forum!

Chris

Welcome to the Forum !

I lurked around for quite a while then had to sign up to post an answer to a question. Lots of great experienced people here to give you multiple answers to a question and most of them are valid approaches depending on your skill and equipment.

Posting some of your projects will  be appreciated !

Thanks, everyone-

I am in Fremont, CA at the moment, but we were looking to move sometime soon, hence the somewhat "complainy" tone about the prices around here! I've had some serious sticker shock lately in looking at housing... Still hope to stay in the area if we can swing it. Funny how fast my priorities have shifted from just any house to "needing" a place that has some shop space, ha!  Luckily my lady is supportive.

Chet - San Jose - not too far at all!  I used to go down to the Tech Shop downtown SJ, but as mentioned above, it was kind of frustrating.  Place has so much promise, but ultimately didn't work for me.

I am working on a few projects now, so will hopefully get around to posting them when wrapped up.  May take a while, as I am currently learning how to cut dovetails by hand in prep for my first project with dovetails - a small box with 2 drawers - about half completed right now.