Of fences and cast iron

collinb

PIcked up one of these yesterday at a bargain price.  The price was low enough that I think getting the fence justified it.  Of course 1/2" is apparently limiting. Should I ever use it as a shaper the motor should be upgraded and sleeves put on the spindle to accommodate better cutters.  Some have commented (other sites) on the large work surface provided. Seems to be a well-engineered unit for the hobbyist.

Since it is considered to be an under-powered unit my first thought is to take off that nice adjustable fence, build a base for it, and so make it mountable on my router table.  (Of course I would not completely cannibalize it, especially now with metal prices so low.)

shaper.jpg

That's a pretty interesting looking piece.

Talking about metal prices being low, I've had the tin roof we pulled off of a house on a gooseneck trailer for a while.  I needed to use the trailer, so we strapped the tin down, and pulled it to the recycling place just up the road from the jobsite. 1360 pounds of steel brought $37.80.

10 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Your never getting a jointer at this rate. .

Then again, I could just resell it to get more funds toward a jointer.  I really have no use for a shaper, not being a pro who does lots of custom crowns & such.  And if I cannibalize the fence nobody would want it.