Long term review request PMV11 chisels

Tony Wilkins

9 hours ago, Tony Wilkins said:

Just curious now that the Veritas PMV11 bench chisels have been out a while - how are people liking them?

Hi Tony

I have probably been using them longer than anyone.

They chop. They pare. 

Excellent steel. Takes and holds a very good edge. Note that the wood I work is extremely hard on edges.

Regards from Perth

Derek

10 minutes ago, derekcohen said:

Hi Tony

I have probably been using them longer than anyone.

They chop. They pare. 

Excellent steel. Takes and holds a very good edge. Note that the wood I work is extremely hard on edges.

Regards from Perth

Derek

So weird. I was just on another wood forum researching shoulder planes and someone pointed towards your reviews. Like that thing where you hear someone's name for the first time and now every 10 mins you hear it

• 2 weeks later...
On 4 March 2016 at 10:22 PM, Cliff said:

So weird. I was just on another wood forum researching shoulder planes and someone pointed towards your reviews. Like that thing where you hear someone's name for the first time and now every 10 mins you hear it

If you paid attention and visited my website, you could be following the build of this .. 

27a_zps2yglnfe8.jpg

28a_zpsbvwu52sh.jpg

:)

Regards from Perth

Derek

• 3 weeks later...

I was already in love after only a few months.  A butt chisel was my first "test" PM-V11 tool.  This is one of those things where you do not have to be an expert or have a cultured approach to chisels and planes to notice a difference.  It is a definite difference. 

I can get through most of a project before I have to touch up whereas I have my sharpening stuff out and at the ready when doing heavy work with other steels.  A2 was an improvement in edge retention but, O1 got so very sharp.  PM-V11 seems to do both although I have not gone mad-scientist on it or anything.