Refinish office partition (veneer was taken off!)

metube

Hi!

Need some help in advising a family member on the best approach to refinish the partition in their office. It's basically a semi circle with glass inserted in the middle.

Short story is the veneer was peeling and they decided to peel and scrap it off... 

I know that glueing and refinishing the veneer would have been ideal, but it was already ripped up once I got there... 

They don't want to bother re-veneering, so is painting the only option? Any ideas?

image.jpeg

It might look pretty good with one of those faux stone finishes. I have seen kits for that. The more work they are willing to do filling priming and sanding the base the better the final results will be.

Do they have to work around the glass or is it easily removed ? If removed be careful not to allow build up inside the recess that would interfere with the fit. If it has to stay in place use blue tape and be very careful when sanding.

Thanks guys, they seem to be favouring paint...

The glass is stuck in and won't come out easily, just going to tape it up...

What type of paint would you recommend? Any pretreatment or post?

Was thinking of working up to 220 grit and just laying some water-based poly, but was worried about scratching as its a high traffic area. But I think some filler and paint might be a good option...

The rattle can faux stone finishes have quite a bit of texture & will hide little imperfections, so filling & sanding can be less fussy. If it's just paint then you'll have to be pretty meticulous with the filling & sanding.

Personally, I think the faux finish would look a lot better than plain paint.

If a slick finish is your goal, I suggest putting down a few coats of shellac first. The spray can stuff from the home center will do. Thin coats, allowed to dry to the touch in betwee. Let it cure for a day or so, lightly sand with something above 220, then spray your paint. The shellac is much easier to get smooth than a paint primer is.