Finish for Desk

riversjk

I'm working on a project where I'm taking some long leaf pine to make a desktop/table. It's going to be 72"x28" more or less and that's including a 1" cherry breadboard all around. I'm also inlaying 3-1" strips the length of the desk evenly spaced. My question is what kind of finish would you recommend? I originally thinking of doing some epoxy/liquid glass, but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. What's the difference between lacquer and polyurethane? Would a spray on finish be better than paint on or roll on?

Cherry breadboard all around ? If the cross grain part of your " breadboard" isn't going to,allow the top to expand and contract you are not ready to finish.

A few coats of ARS is enough but you can keep adding them until you build the finish to your satisfaction. Just make sure each coat is completely dry before sanding and recoatijg.

• 1 month later...

So I ended up using Famowood (http://www.amazon.com/FAMOWOOD-Glaze-Coat-Epoxy-Clear/dp/B008G8ON9W) for the finish.  It's a pour on clear epoxy resin finish, used for bar tops.  I have run into a few problems.  After sealing the desk by spraying on lacquer, on the first pour, I poured too little and some low spots resulted.  I tried to fill this in but waited too long to do so (probably 25-35 minutes) and it had already started to settle/hardened.  The end result came up as some raised spots and some low spots. 

I decided to sand it and try again.  I sanded w/ a 100 grit paper to scratch up the surface and bring down the raised sections. Used a tack cloth to remove any particles, then poured again.  Where I poured more this time, I still think I poured too little as some new low spots in different locations came in.    I called the company and they said that the roughest grit I should use is 400, and to NEVER use tack cloth.....

Now I really like the 1/3 of my desk that came out perfect, but I need to do an additional coat.  Should I sand back down to the wood and start from square one or level out the finish with some rough grit paper, and then bring it up to 400 or better grit then pour with an abundance this time?  Thoughts? I'll submit pictures tomorrow hopefully.

Use the finest grit possible to level the surface then use all the grits(don't skip any ) up to 400 grit. Make sure the top is very level in every direction then pour generously make sure there is something to catch the drips. Smoothing out the edges and drips is tricky you have to stop before the finish starts to set or you will make it worse .