Greetings from Redmond, WA (for now)

Robert Morse

I just realized I joined over a year ago, and missed the "introduce yourself" post.  Sorry about that. :)  I'm lucky enough to have a somewhat patient wife, 2 adorable kids (4 and 6) and an Irish Terrier who I love but goes looking for trouble.  My days are spent behind a keyboard, I'm a Program Manager/Business Analyst and my work centers around helping people demonstrate business value and being concise with data.

I've spent the last 6 years doing renovations on a 40 year old house that was a rental for 30 years or so... in short, we've had lots of projects.  New deck, replaced all the doors, re-cased several windows, new baseboards everywhere, tile in several rooms... The final few projects really stoked my interest in woodworking: I ended up building a custom shelf/ledge around my rec room foundation wall, and decided I wanted to invest some time in a new hobby. Still learning, not a lot of expertise in any one thing, but I've got a list of Honey-do's a mile long, and a strong desire to see it thru. Recent non-house projects include some decorative mirror frames (cherry for one, curly maple for another), a bunk bed for my daughter, a Big Green Egg table for one of my work buddies, and custom doors for the storage space under the stairs... nothing of astounding quality, but I'm having fun.

We recently sold the current home, and we're moving to a new place about 15 minutes north of here in early May. Part of the reason for the move was to allow me to build a new shop, so eventually, I'll start a thread on that... I really enjoyed following along on a few of the shop builds here, so I'll try to allow others to do the same.  Once the new shop's built, I'll have a list waiting of things to work on in the new house as well - I'm looking forward to contributing to the project journals too.

My current "shop" is the garage, which we don't park in...  Of course, I've got tools: many are in storage as we're getting ready to move, but I've got a PM2000, DW735x, 6" jointer, drill press, jet 16-32 drum sander, etc. Also a small but slowly growing collection of hand tools, and 4 routers (which is 3 more than my wife knows about)... If I get caught, I'm going to tell her they mate in dark drawers, and that's why the population keeps growing.

If I'm not chasing kids, or in the shop, we like to hike, and we spend time in SouthEast Alaska every summer as well. My wife's a food nut, so we've usually got something good to eat, and we both love good beer (I had a Maredsous 10* Triple Belgian recently and LOVED it). I'm constantly on untappd.com, comparing beers with my college buddies.

Anyway, thanks for providing such a great place to contribute and learn - this is a great forum, and I'm looking forward to being more active in it.

Robert

Welcome, I live a little north of you but still commute to Seattle. 

20 hours ago, Robert Morse said:

If I get caught, I'm going to tell her they mate in dark drawers, and that's why the population keeps growing.

That has been my story for years, now she just rolls her eyes.