Ipe Shower Shelf Finish

Dknapp34

I made a shelf for the shower out of ipe and I'm wondering if I can get away with a simple danish or teak oil finish?  My dad build some Adirondack chairs out of ipe a few years ago, finished them in teak oil and has had no problems, despite them being outside all year in the upstate NY weather.  A shower seems like it might require a more water resistant finish though.

Here's a crappy iphone pic of the shelf:

IMG_1069.JPG.e04da984f9cae9ac9c84067da1b

On an unrelated note, I cut the strips for the shelf from 8/4 stock and my new Sawstop 1.75 hp went through it like butter.  Loving that thing.

I'd use an oil finish like you suggest.  Just plan in reapplying a couple times a year.  I like penofin marine oil.  It contains mildewcide, which is important in a shower. 

Yep, oil finish is the smart way to go. At least twice a year give it a scrub with one of those plastic abrasive pads and re- oil it. Teak oil is fine but a mildewcide  would be a very good thing to have as an ingredient. As long as it doesn't have something sitting on the shelf that traps moisture under it you should be fine.

Consider what you will clean the shower with, and how it will co-operate with any finish used.  I use Clorox Cleanup in our shower, and made the shelves out of Corian.  I think if we had wood inside the shower, it would need to be unfinished or the bleach would probably destroy the finish.

39 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Consider what you will clean the shower with, and how it will co-operate with any finish used.  I use Clorox Cleanup in our shower, and made the shelves out of Corian.  I think if we had wood inside the shower, it would need to be unfinished or the bleach would probably destroy the finish.

Agreed.    I would not use any kind of film finish.  A marine oil like penofin will help prevent mildew and is easy to reapply.  

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, KenMasco said:

I would either rub a little oil on it or nothing at all.  I'm pretty sure the Cony Island Boardwalk is made of Ipe and has been performing on the Atlantic Coast unfinished for 50 or more years.  

I never knew that.  You got me interested, so I did some googling.  I guess they are replacing (or have replaced) some of the boardwalk with concrete, because it's cheaper.  The ipe lasted for nearly a hundred years (built in 1923), but they are replacing it with something that will crack and need repairing every couple of years.  I'm sure if you add up the maintenance costs of keeping the concrete in good shape for nearly a hundred years, it would end up costing a whole lot more than just using ipe in the first place.  

Not to mention the fact that a concrete "boardwalk" is not a boardwalk.  It's a sidewalk. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 3/27/2016 at 3:19 AM, Dknapp34 said:

The ipe lasted for nearly a hundred years (built in 1923), but they are replacing it with something that will crack and need repairing every couple of years.

And now you understand how to keep people working.  CalTrans uses this business model on the left coast.  They finally finish up a 10 year freeway project after numerous delays and then immediately tear it up again to fix something that has already failed. :D

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

@Dknapp34 How has this fared? I'm embarking on a shower fixture as well and am debating between Ipe (if i can find it) Teak or Iroko.

This is a bit embarrassing, but I actually never installed it in the shower. I got distracted with a bunch of other things, then completely forgot about it and eventually bought a plastic shower shelf thing from bed bath & beyond. 

On a related note -- anyone in the market for an ipe shower shelf?