Red oak bowl

Bombarde16

The "brazilian cedar" looks like Ipe to me. I have never seen it called that, but Ipe is brazilian and is used in place of cedar for decks.  As you found out it is nothing like cedar at all. 

I have a lot of ash on my property that's been down for about 6 months and I have a chainsaw.

Is ash an appropriate wood for this project?

Absolutely. Probably even better than red oak as the coloring is a little more neutral and you'd have more options for contrasting woods to use for the rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

If more of you wood turners post projects like this it might convince me to buy a lathe.

For that reason exactly,  I'm glad they don't post more.  Turning is a rabbit hole I'm sure I could fall deep into and I haven't the time or space for another obsession.

• 8 months later...
On 3/14/2016 at 7:04 PM, Bombarde16 said:

so the outside had started to oxidize while the inside remained reddish pink.

That's exactly what happens with sapodilla and bulletwood. Check them out on my site. Also, "Brazilian cedar" is either Cedrela odorata or Cedrela fissilis and that wood is definitely NOT either of those.

On 3/15/2016 at 9:44 AM, Mike. said:

The "brazilian cedar" looks like Ipe to me. I have never seen it called that, but Ipe is brazilian and is used in place of cedar for decks.  As you found out it is nothing like cedar at all. 

I"ve never seen ipe have anything remotely like that "rare steak" look in the middle so I seriously doubt it's ipe

• Like 1