PCS Gov move limitations??

All, I am moving on a PCS and wondering what limitations there are for the move? 

I am aware that they won't move my finishing/chemicals etc.

My big question is will they move my hardwood lumber?

Also is anybody aware of what the cost is when you exceed the weight limit?

Thanks

I literally just PCS'ed from San Diego to Virginia.  They explicitly will not take any chemical.  I actually took as much of the expensive stuff as I could and wrapped in ziplocs and then Walmart bags and locked them all in a large military foot locker.  It took some good talking to get them to take it without opening it but I didn't have room for them in my car, and damn sure wasn't throwing it all away. 

As for the wood they took everything I had.  Only problem I would see is based on your weight.  What I would do is get everything loaded and if their weight estimate is more than you want to pay and/or is covered by the people moving you then start getting rid of the wood (or household items, whichever is more important ;))  I also didn't have any crazy long or large pieces but as I know it regardless of what it is they have to move it.  If you had a 30 foot tall concrete gnome statue, its yours and they have to move it. Hope that helps and let me know if you have anymore questions.!

Jason

Also as for the cost I am not sure.  I'm sure its not good though...

• Like 1

The best bet is to call the traffic management office or PCS director for the base you're moving too. They are the ones set the limitations. I don't know what the cost is for going over but I remember the allowance was extremely high. When moving within the continental United States. Once you start going overseas or to the islands it dropped like a rock

I have done 5 or 6 PCS moves, and in each case prior to the actual move the moving company with the contract came out, looked over our stuff and then gave an estimated weight. They have moved wood without an issue, and very little damage to anything.  Good luck.  

• Like 1

I am in the process right now and have done several moves.

You are correct in saying they won't move chemicals (if they know about them) or any perishable items including liquids.

As for lumber, yes they will move it. Each individual contract carrier will charge their own price per pound for what you go over. E6 with dependents is somewhere like 10K pounds that will be paid for my the government. Check out move.mil for more information.

• Like 1

You can download the GTR (Government Travel Regulations) on line.

The cost issue is "complicated".  There are standard rates per pound between posts (TMO can help you there).  You rate so many pounds based on your grade.

The "estimate" above is that a SSgt rates 10K#.  So say a SSgt is moving from San Diego to the National Capital Region.  "The Book" might say the typical price per pound from SDCA to NCR is $1.00/#, so a SSgt would rate $10K (an example, I don't know the latest figures).

Find a mover that can move 15K# for $10K, and you don't pay a thing, even though you are over-weight.  Note, you would have to do that, not TMO, because TMO will only do the contract rate.  Make sense?

Needless to say: Save Receipts.

As stated above, NO to HazMat.  I'm not going to post ways around that on-line, but, if you're creative...  Wood, on the other hand, is not a problem.  I have oak from Bois de Belleau that is just waiting to be turned into something nice.  The movers in Germany didn't ask twice about that, which is more than I can say for my beer collection.  I can neither confirm nor deny if that beer eventually made it back to CONUS.

Edited to add:  Get to know the GTR.  Fall in love with the GTR.  Read the GTR more carefully than you would a prenuptial agreement.  It's fun to fill out a travel claim with the code PV (Personal Vessel).  TMO will shake their head.  It's fun to show them the GTR and the details they need.  It's more fun to cruise to your next station at 17 knots, burning 26 gallons per hour, and have all expenses paid.  

• Like 1

Don Z gave you the best answer. The estimator is really just a ballpark figure. It really depends on how much wood you are talking about. A couple hundred BF of hardwood can add weight pretty quickly. I am not sure how many machines you have but those add up quickly as well. Through in a workbench and you are already at 4000- 5000 pounds with just your shop. Doing the move yourself is a great option in the continental US and can save you or even make you some money but it's a PITA plus you assume all liability for the stuff you packed.  

I moved to HI so I had military handle my move. I knew I was going to be close on weight so I decided to sell all my tools with exception of my hand tools. 

I would not mess with the hazardous materials, it's just not worth the risk if something were to happen. 

Lastly weight is determined by rank, the more rank you have the more weight you get. 

• Like 1