wood source near bloomington il?

benny27

Is there any good source for lumber that is less then 1+ hour drive from bloomington?

What I am looking for is poplar, cherry, and maybe walnut some day. 

I drive a LTL truck so I am in springfield, jacksonville, and beardstown all the time. is there anything hiding around there?

allso in beardstown there is a mill but do they sell to the public? 

3 hours ago, woodbutcher74 said:

Have you been to Pekin Hardwoods. They are south of Pekin on Manito Road. They have a great selection of domestic and exotic lumber. It's also call The Woodworkers Store and they are a Rockler dealer as well as several power tools.(Festool, Powermatic, Jet)

I have been to pekin hardwoods there are 1 hour drive for me. The prices are on the high side there. I was hoping to fined something closer and or cheaper then them.

5 hours ago, woodbutcher74 said:

Have you been to Pekin Hardwoods. They are south of Pekin on Manito Road. They have a great selection of domestic and exotic lumber. It's also call The Woodworkers Store and they are a Rockler dealer as well as several power tools.(Festool, Powermatic, Jet)

This is where I went two days ago. It's the only place I've found within an hour of me that has exotics. I found their prices to be fair on most things. $9.90/bf on purpleheart was comparable to bellforest. Their walnut ranged upwards of $10/bf and thats high for this area. They got some awesome 16/4 walnut slabs in there. And tons of Honduran Mahogany, which is the first time I'd ever seen that stuff.

1 hour ago, benny27 said:

I have been to pekin hardwoods there are 1 hour drive for me. The prices are on the high side there. I was hoping to fined something closer and or cheaper then them.

The only other place I have been to is Corsaw Hardwood Lumber in Smithfield. They are lookin like almost an hour and a half from you. Fantastic guys though. Their prices are pretty low. $6/bf on walnut, and if you spend enough he will drop it. They have no exotic wood there. They have a website and mostly answer their emails to tell you what they got in stock.

In private air-dried lumber, the guy that sawed my tree up and sold me ash and walnut yesterday is named Pete. He can be found at www.sawitthere.com. He lives in Chilicothe, but his lumber stash is somewhere else. I'd tell you where but it was one of those "go to this intersection and then go north for 1.5 miles." Again, he's super nice and is not overly strict about his prices. I'd recommend him for buying wood if you are ok with air-dried (he's building a solar kiln though) and for cutting your tree into lumber if you ever have a need. And yeah, I mapped it and it still looks like an hour drive for ya. 

I am not as bad off as you, but I still have to drive 35-60 minutes to get to any of these places. 

They are kind of technology-dumb there at Corsaw so if they don't get back with you in a day or two, might have to call. I wish I had the thing with their prices on it, but I keep losing it. I remember Walnut - $6, maple - $4.50, cedar (aromatic I think) - $2.25, Cherry $5.50 and I think red oak is $4.50-ish to 5. Not sure.

Don't know if they have changed in the past 3 months.