Building the Game Table

jwood314

Hey that's one hell of a first post there, James.  Please do keep us updated with your progress.

FYI, I'm moving this thread to the "Project Journals" sub-forum.  It could probably fit in either forum but so far this is more journal than Guild-specific.

• Like 1

Very ambitious. Here's to smooth sailing :). I'd confirm that there will be adequate leg room from the top of your thigh to the under side of the table if your deepening the playing surface by an inch. It's should be ok but definitely worth measuring before hand with the proper chair height.

Proper planing helps preventing any chance of something Bitting you in the ash. Your on the right track.

Marcel---

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, most of the material have arrived where the table is going to be built, some cool pics.  I can't wait to actually see the boards in person, a few weeks out though.  I know not very exciting, but I am stoked!

wtnhighlander - Hope we end up with an heirloom!

Eric - Will keep updating as this gets built.  It will be built in 2 weeks, so a lot of updates come late April.  No problems on the thread move, not sure where I should have stuck it.

Cliff - I love Ziricote, beautiful wood. 

nerdbot - Thanks!  My Dad and I are going to need it.

Brendon - already own a bunch of CA for my other hobbies, splinters build character!

Eric Part 2 - My Dad and I have been discussing this issue about Wenge, I would have to fall in love with such a difficult wood. 

TIODS - you can see a bit of the tear out on one of the boards.  I have enough extra Wenge to do some practice work on first.  After we figure out the cuts on the lumber, I need to cut 8 or so sample boards to run through the different types of finish I am thinking of doing, hopefully, we can figure out how painful the cutting is going to be.  MDF is cheap compared to the Wenge, so no issue backing all of the cuts.

Bradpotts - thanks for the advice, a lot of firsts on here for me, so any and all advice is much appreciated!

Marcel.F - Thanks!  Concerning leg room, table height et al, I am modeling these off of our current kitchen table.  We plan on using the benches and chairs that came with table until I am stationed back in the States, then will build new Wenge chairs and benches!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, sometimes it is hard to break into a new forum.  All of the advice is excellent, and I can't wait to share my experiences.  My posts I have written for my model builds run into 80 pages plus!  I like writing about what I am doing, helps me to think about and plan the next steps in the process. 

There won't be much movement on this build until I get to Texas.  I don't think people want to hear that a few router bits came in the mail, or my 50" straight edge arrived, lol!

Cheers,

James

Wood Boards.jpg

Wood2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had ordered several different 1/8" pieces of wood from D&D Woodcrafts, the wood was to be used as dividers in the card boxes that I am going to build.  I was supposed to ship it to Texas, but instead sent it to my house in Florida, which turned out to be great. 

I am testing several different finishes schedules on this piece of Wenge, and my wife is here and we can make a decision on which way to finish thee gaming table!  Even though there is some additional cost doing it this way, having wife buy in is worth the extra expense, also knowing how I am going to finish the table will help in construction order.

So, the picture attached shows several different panels, and my cluttered kitchen counter top!

I am looking at several different finish schedules.

BLO only - I just wanted to see how the Wenge would react, and as the research has shown, the Wenge gets REALLY dark, so much so, that the beautiful browns and blacks in the wood sort of meld into the same color.  No desire to do this on the table. 

Lacquer only - I put down two coats of satin lacquer on one of the squares, it did a good job of preserving the browns and blacks, just don't feel that  there is enough protection on this high use/abused piece of furniture.

I did a panel of just General Finishes Arm R Seal, to see how the unfilled grain looks, both the wife and I don't like the unfilled grain look.  I built 4 layers of gloss, and then finished half of the panel in satin to see the difference, we really like the satin look.  Even with 5 thin coats, it still looks pretty close to the wood for a finish.  I did a light sanding in between the coats.

There are six panels where I am trying three different pore fillers, Ebony Timbermate, Dark Brown Walnut and Crystalac Clear pore filler.  All three are water based.  I am trying shellac first on three of the panels, and filler then shellac then varnish on the other three panels.  I want to see if order makes a difference in the final look.

Finally, I have tried several different methods of putting down the various material.  Paper towel, cotton fabric, a cheap sponge brush, a cheap paint brush.  I can't tell a difference in the final outcome when applying either thee shellac or Arm R Seal.  I am not sure if the small areas I am applying it to are making the difference, but Arm R Seal and thee shellac are viscous enough to fill in and level out the finish, I have even purposefully leeft air bubbles in the Arm R Seal, and they all eventually pop a level out.  I do like using a pad of cotton fabric the most to apply the finish, and since I own 5 yards of thee material, that is what I will use on the table.

BLO looks fantastic on all of the other woods I tried it on, Bocote, Zebrawood, Walnut, and Maple, this will work well for the boxes, but not the table.

I am gathering up my tools, and getting ready to head to Texas next week.  I will post an update on the finishes when my pore fillers get here and I will let you know on the final finish schedule that is wife approved.

Cheers,

James

P4130222.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Day 1 of the Build

Finally made it to Texas!  We moved all of the wood last night over to my Dad's house, that took a while, also was a little tired after driving 900 miles.  This morning moved all of the veneer stuff over.

So, this is the first time I got my eyeballs on the wood and veneer.  All I can say is WOWOWOWOWOW.  I can't recommend enough Bell Forest Products.com and Veneer Supplies.com.  The 90BF or so of 8/4 Wenge is absolutely  stunning.  However, it is very hard and REALLY heavy, the table is going to be heavy.  The table is 8 inches wider and 6 inches longer, that is a lot more MDF and Wenge. 

Most of the work we did today was procuring a jointer, planer, bandsaw, new blades, router bits and a bunch of sheet goods.

Sort of a breakdown of where and what.

We went to Woodcraft first.  Due to all of the negatives I have heard about Wenge and tear out, I went with the Freud ultimate cross cut blade, the few cuts I made today went extremely well.  Zero tear out, and the edges were fantastic.  I chuckle when my 15 year old Rigid miter saw has a blade worth much more than it on it.  Also got a Timber Wolf blade to put on the band saw.  Will set that up tomorrow.

My Dad's Shopsmith is sporting a Forrest combo blade, will try that out tomorrow should be good to go though, recently serviced/sharpened. 

We then headed over to Rockler, we got a Bosch plunge router and the edge guide, picked up some Tite Bond III. 

Picked up some clamps at Harbor Freight, not nearly as nice as the high end ones, but they have to work 4 times on this, needed to buy blades for the saws instead of the clamps.

Headed over to Lowes got the planer, band saw and all of the sheet goods, somehow got it all to fit into my minivan, yeah for mini vans!

After transporting all of the material to the house, we got the jointer and router table set up this evening, decided on what wood was going where in the table.  This was sort of predetermined though because I am trying to deepen the gaming area by over an inch, so the widest boards were tagged for the side rails, then we picked the most matching of the remaining three for the top of the table, and the last three for legs. 

We tested one of the boards on the jointer,  worked great, no tear out.

We will get the legs glued up tomorrow, rest of the tools set up and adjusted, start working the rails, and hopefully get the first jigs built for the inlay work.  Excited to finally be moving on this!

Pics tomorrow.

Cheers,

James

• Like 2

Got a lot of work done on the table today.  We got the leg wood choice completed, basically which chunks of wood would make up each leg.  We were able to get 3 of the legs to look really good, and the 4th is just ok, will have to make sure that the bad leg is in the farthest corner in the room.  Took us a while to get the legs glued up.  After that we ate some lunch and headed over to Elliot's Hardware in Plano TX, a ginormous hardware store with lots of hard to find bits and pieces.  We needed to get an adaptor piece to get the vacuum pump I own to plug into the bag from Veneer Supplies.  We are going to get the bag all set up tomorrow, we need to start flattening some of the veneer in preparation for actually veneering something.   We spent the afternoon reverse engineering the channel that the Geek Chic accessories slide into.  No details here on measurements etc, but without an actual cup holder, a buddy of mine owns one of their table, we wouldn't have gotten the channel correct.  Some dimensions don't really matter too much in the great scheme of things, but two are critical if you want your accessory to sit properly in the channel. We spent quite a while practicing in a pine 2x4, and after some confidence built up there, we made transferred to our spare test piece of Wenge.  Hopefully the attached pic shows how well it turned out.  I also got the band saw together, installed the Timber Wolf blade, and started messing around with the saw, trying to get a feel for how it works, and what we are going to need to do to get it to work the way we need it to.  Looks like we will need to build some jigs to cut all of the inlay pieces.  The edges I was getting free handing it were not so good.  The saw didn't come with an edge guide, need to find a cheap one to put on there.

We plan on getting the mortises on the table legs done tomorrow, along with all of the channel cuts into the side rails.  We are also going to get the veneer bag set up, in the dining room, lol, Mom isn't too happy, just for a few days, and start to flatten some of the non flat veneer.  I don't think we will get the tennons cut on the side rails, but who knows!  I am debating on changing how far back the rails sit in realtion to the legs, to show off some more of the inlay that will wrap around the side of the table, still thinking on that.  It wouldn't affect much, will need to take a look at it tomorrow.

Pic 1 is on our first Wenge cut, all went well, the blade was awesome.

Pic 2 is of the table legs set out, and trying to get the best grain match on the pieces, we shifted around a bit for the final product.  Was also able to hide some of the VERY rare defects on this Wood.  Bell Forrest did an outstanding job of wood selection.

Pic 3 is of the 4 legs all caulled(sp?) up, glued and clamped together.  We don't own as many clamps as some others. :)  The really cheap clamps from Harbor Freight, are well, really cheap.  We only have to hold the table together and the table top inserts left on what these needed to be used on.  They are really cheap!

Pic 4 is our pine test piece we needed to use to gain some XP on the channel dimensions.

Pic 5 is the finalized channel in the Wenge.  Took us a while to sneak up on the last dimension, but we got it, after about 6 little tiny passes, but the final product is super awesome.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Cheers,

James

P4220234.JPG

P4230241.JPG

P4230243.JPG

P4230248.JPG

P4230250.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words, would be way to easy to get things backwards if we didn't label everything.  Also, I have gotten a few splinters, but mainly from the unfinished side.  Once it has been jointed or sanded, isn't too bad.

Day 3 of the Build

Got some good work completed today, we got the legs squared up, and the mortises cut in.  That was really hard to cut those with a router.  I checked the widths of the 8 mortises, and we were able to get all 8 within 0.025 tolerance, with most falling within 0.010 of each other, there were two outliers.  So, pretty happy with the success with the router edge guide.  The biggest take away from this though is the need for a really good work bench, the 2x4 folding table with 2 sheets of 0.75 plywood slapped on top is ok, but a level, flat work surface would make things much easier and much more accurate.  I would have liked to have all the mortises within 0.005" of each other!

Started to mock up the inlay, will get that finished tomorrow.

We also started to work the rails, and determined, that the little Porter Cable jointer, while mighty for its price, can't get the longer Wenge pieces flat.  It is really hard to keep 7 foot of board hanging off of the end of the jointer flat to the surface, too much weight with too much leverage.  So tomorrow, my Dad and I are headed over to Build's Member Workshop.  You can pay one of the owners on a 15 minute interval to do work in their shop.  This works out great for us.  We are going to get him to joint all of the rail and table top pieces, also the long board of Holly.  I also plan on bringing a board over to see how well he can resaw some wood. 

We got the veneer bag and platen set up today.  Also pulled out and looked at all of the veneer, to figure out the order to start flattening what needs to be flattened.  Takes a day or two to do that, so need to start soon to make sure we are not waiting on veneer when we need it.

So for tomorrow, plan on getting the boards jointed, finishing the inlay mock up, verifying that I like it, also, should get the rails completed, flatten the veneer needed to finish the bottom MDF board, get the tenns cut and get some of the jigs needed to cut the inlay wood on the jig saw.  Another busy day.

Pic 1 is of the mortises cut, they need to be cleaned up with a chisel tomorrow.  That was really hard to get down.

Pic 2 is of the veneer, we turned the dinning room into an veneering room!

Pic 3 shows the slots that the inlay will be inserted into.  Hopefully it comes out looking good.

Pic 4 a ton of effort to basically make some 4" x 4"s, lol. 

Cheers,

James

P4240256.JPG

P4240254.JPG

P4240252.JPG

P4240251.JPG

K Cooper - Thanks and thanks!

Day 4 of the Build

Another great day of progress.  The morning was spent trying to figure out how to get the longer boards jointed.  I was able to locate a place called Build Member's Workshop, and they were gracious enough to have someone joint the boards for me.  They usually have a monthly membership fee, and a required safety class, but one of the employees, Thomas, hooked us up.  We went from the 2 foot long Porter Cable mini jointer, to a very large Delta, which made short work of the long boards on the table.  We were able to get all of the remaining lumber jointed, including the Holly, and also made use of their table saw to rip the boards to width.  So the side rails and the table top pieces are all at their correct widths.  We plane'd the side rails down to 1.6 inches, will work the top rails in a few days.  We also mocked up the inlay pattern, very happy with how it is going to look, so went ahead and did all of the routing on the side rails and on the table legs.  I wanted to carry the inlay pattern from the rails around the legs, and back onto the rails.  Ran into the first real issue of tear out though, going to have to do some repair work on the table legs due to tear out.  We also got a lot of prep work completed today for the veneer work.  We need to flatten some of the veneer, so cut all of the cauls for that, and will start that process tomorrow, will take a while to get them flattened. 

For tomorrow, we should get the mortises cleaned up, the tenons cut on the side rails, that is all that is left on those pieces, get several pieces of veneer into the press to start the flattening process, get the MDF bottom piece cut, and I will start the veneer design that will go on that piece, maybe start working the top rails, if we have time.

Pic 1 is of the inlay mock up, this is with just birds eye maple, and zebrawood.  The final will have many other woods, with maple in between, also sanded down and level, unlike the pic.  Really like the Holly on the outside, can't wait to see a complete rail down.

Pic 2 is a picture of the workshop who really helped us out today, they are located in Southlake Texas, check em out!

Pic 3 is the tear out on the legs :(

Pic 4 is of the side rails and all of the inlay channels cut.

Pic 5 is of the top rails, needs more work, but getting there.

Cheers

James 

P4250259.JPG

P4250263.JPG

P4250268.JPG

P4250266.JPG

P4250265.JPG

I love how you just jumped in the deep end and are swimming along nicely !

In your finish testing include some waterbourne top coats. They can be quite durable and don't affect the color of the beautiful woods you are using. You can use your shellac as a barrier coat over anything you decide to oil (just let it cure completely first).