Shop Overhaul Rev 8675309

Tom Cancelleri

I recently started redoing my shop, after acquiring a giant bandsaw, and a ClearVue cyclone, it's time to do some serious stuff to make it cleaner, neater, and more badass!

I had to build new brackets for the motor mount to hang the cyclone. I don't know how they can say you can install it on an 8 foot ceiling, unless you put in a 5 gallon bucket for collection I don't see it being feasible. The top of the motor is about 9' 2" from the floor. I have a 31 gallon heavy duty steel garbage pail. 

Brackets are made from walnut ply scraps, and 2x4s (super classy) I actually used maple edge banding on the walnut ply. 

Hanging this thing up is a huge challenge with one person. That motor isn't light, and holding it over your head is a recipe for disaster if you don't wrestle bears for a living.

a0059ee8311c9f023f184d059c26ae1a.jpg

When wood falls over

a3bc1cd83318ecf2793b4bb2076e8d5d.jpg

Shop bandage

8e0c5d9bb35fd39defff8c2661275b17.jpg

I'll paint the ceiling when I'm done!

cc608f39d8c42999d5b13807f42b2902.jpg

ad2f0f811b2f1bb4cf6db5cc8141b8ad.jpg

Because everyone should pickup duct work to exhaust outside in a sports car.

8f217ba55be01d90273e54be1a13d1d6.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, drzaius said:

Physics is a friend.

Physics can also really kick you in the ass if you're not careful. On a side note, advanced physics courses definitely did kick my ass. Not my cup of tea.

Tom, what is the absolute minimum ceiling height required do you think? Couldn't find that info on their site.

23 minutes ago, mkrusen said:

Tom, what is the absolute minimum ceiling height required do you think? Couldn't find that info on their site.

Per the manual, they give you the bare minimum with their recommended 28" tail garbage pail 96" tall ceiling. They say if your ceiling is lower, call them to figure out what your options are. 

That's a lot of weight to mount above your head. Good thign all you came out with was a scratch.

4 hours ago, mkrusen said:

Physics can also really kick you in the ass if you're not careful. On a side note, advanced physics courses definitely did kick my ass. Not my cup of tea.

Awe University physics 2 statics and dynamics were a couple of my favorite classes in college. I also really liked chemistry.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

That cut was from a piece of maple I had leaning on the wall that fell while moving things. 

That's not an exciting story you should lie and change that post to something more exciting where you narrowly escape dropping the new to you cyclone motor by saving it with just the back of your hand.

37 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

That's not an exciting story you should lie and change that post to something more exciting where you narrowly escape dropping the new to you cyclone motor by saving it with just the back of your hand.

It's all fun and games until the crazy meat salesmen show up at your house...

• Like 1

Even if it's a not so cool story, it looks manly and the saw dust covered clothes amplifies the cool factor. Only you know the true lame version of the story.

To add to the conversation... Will you have your system automated or remote operated or have your good friend Manuel turn it on and off?

Marcel---

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those who've done metal ducting. What gauge pipe did you go with? I can get 26 gauge straight pipe for pretty cheap. Roughly $11-$12 for a 5 foot section, with branches being about 20 bucks a piece. I can't justify Nordfab, it's the cost of a sawstop for my shop. Not doing it, at least not in this shop. I will be using small metal self tapping screws and foil tape on all the joints. 

I can get 24 gauge but they need to special order it, and I would have to buy like 100 pieces of it because you buy the case, not what you need.