TV / Game Cabinet

wtnhighlander

SIDEBAR: I recently obtained a new Sony ActionCam, and have been playing with it in the shop. This clip shows my setup for cutting all those grooves.

The camera performed well, even in my poorly illuminated garage.

I tried to film myself finessing the fit, but some old guy kept blocking the shot...

• Like 1

Nice! I like your setup feather boards are really nice accessories to have.

Have you thought about making your push stick smaller so you don't have to stop your cut to grab it? I made mine small enough that i can hold it in my right hand to switch quickly.

Good idea. Mine is just a chunk of 2x4 with a door shim screwed onto the back for a 'heel'.

Cool Ross! I hope this means more video content form you in the future. 

Thanks, Shane. Just screwing around for now, but it adds another aspect of interest to the hobby.

Ross on video in the shop, who'd of ever thunk it

Nice job!

Who, me??? Naaahhh, I'm pretty sure that's Grandpa's ghost - I'm waaaay younger than that old dude in the video! ?

Nice. What is the large metal object behind you in the 2nd video? I've never seen a tool like that before...

Every shop needs a lumber transport device, right?

Managed a few minutes before work, so I used the dado stack to mill tenons on some parts that need them.

c7f503ea9ee6afe1fea924734beb9a46.jpg

This shop-made jig works pretty well. The dado is still set up as it was for making grooves, I only adjusted the fence.

Here is a good reason for surfacing your own stock.

The fit I wanted:

c5d12f028043dcaa54a5964b303c5bc1.jpg

Compared with the fit I got with some pieces:

1d8c13b670b00ecf9bb520d44a65d57e.jpg

S4S is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. There was enough variation in my stock's thickness that I have to do a fair amount of hand tool finessing now ...

• Like 1

I get burned but the S3S that i buy. When ever i do some thing where alignment is key and I'm too lazy to plane everything down i just make sure to use the show face as the reference surface.

I'm building a project with joints similar to yours and use a Tongue and Groove cutter in my router.

10 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

Great work so far Ross. I like the action shots with the Sony.

This one is just for you, Terry!

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I get burned but the S3S that i buy. When ever i do some thing where alignment is key and I'm too lazy to plane everything down i just make sure to use the show face as the reference surface.

I'm building a project with joints similar to yours and use a Tongue and Groove cutter in my router.

I wish I had a cutter set for my router table.  As it is, I'm about to break out the miter saw to make some length cuts, so I don't have to disturb the dado stack setup.  There are a few more tenons to cut after I trim some parts to final length.

5 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I wish I had a cutter set for my router table.  As it is, I'm about to break out the miter saw to make some length cuts, so I don't have to disturb the dado stack setup.  There are a few more tenons to cut after I trim some parts to final length.

I cheat as well i have 2 router tables set up now one in my table saw wing one in my assembly table. I put the groove cutter in the assembly table and the tongue cutter in the table saw wing using the miter gauge as a coping sled. I can leave both set up while still ripping and cross cutting stock. The router bit quality is inferior to that of a dado stack though just keep that in mind. Tear out on the groove cutter is a huge problem.