Saw frustration

collinb

Craftsman 113.298761

The pulley keeps coming out.  I've tightened down the set screw, even added Loctite.  Still this continues.

(Previous owner must have had the same problem. The reason I could get a good pic is b/c a nice access hole was cut into the side.)

This is my 3rd arbor.

How would one even approach diagnosing this?

EDIT: So far the only thing I've come across is to replace the pulleys and it appears that it's almost a "feature" of these models.
http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/1582#comments

pulley.jpg

Where are you getting the set screws from? I believe there are a few different tips on set screws. Some are flat, some tapered etc. I'm grabbing at straws here, but if the threads are good on the pulley, I can't think of any other reason it would loosen over time other than the wrong type of set screw.

images.jpg.20ca953239437f12ec40e984263ee

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Janello said:

Where are you getting the set screws from? I believe there are a few different tips on set screws. Some are flat, some tapered etc. I'm grabbing at straws here, but if the threads are good on the pulley, I can't think of any other reason it would loosen over time other than the wrong type of set screw.

They're all the same so "stock" seems a safe assumption.

It *might* all be me: For lack of knowledge the saw goes bonkers. 

What I've read so far is that a combination of pulley alignment and the nature of cast pulleys, both create vibration that *can* do this.  Alignment seems the first thing to check.  Steel pulleys seems prudent, and they're not very expensive to purchase.

The time question: It only takes about 10 minutes to work loose.  It happens quickly.

2 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Is the motor at an angle to the arbor or perfectly parallel ? 

Have you ever thought to move along and step up to a better saw? I had a cast iron top old craftsman saw back in the early 80's and replaced it with my first UniSaw. Still using that UniSaw today.

To your first question, that's the alignment concern that I'll be checking.

To the second, yes.  Since I've got a nice fence on it, it could be sold for probably $200 to $250.  A used replacement of the next higher grade looks to be in the $500 to $700 range, at least around here.

Here's one hybrid local to me though I'm uncertain about having a granite top: http://columbus.craigslist.org/gms/5488087034.html

And a Unisaw: http://columbus.craigslist.org/tld/5464460960.html

Yet I could get a new saw for not much more: http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Hybrid-Table-Saw/G0771

I "fixed" it by replacing the pulley, the set screw and the key. In the Grizzly that I have (and Eric used to have) the shaft has some sort of wobble that over time degraded the nice tight fit in the aluminum pulley. A new one fit very tightly. There was also room for two set screws when it only had one before so I put two in cause why not. Did this fix it? Yes and no. It fixed the current problem of the loud rattling. But the motor is still off and will need to be replaced. I don't know when. Hoping for a period of a couple of years.

I also replaced all bearings in the machine as they were worn.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, collinb said:

To your first question, that's the alignment concern that I'll be checking.

To the second, yes.  Since I've got a nice fence on it, it could be sold for probably $200 to $250.  A used replacement of the next higher grade looks to be in the $500 to $700 range, at least around here.

Here's one hybrid local to me though I'm uncertain about having a granite top: http://columbus.craigslist.org/gms/5488087034.html

And a Unisaw: http://columbus.craigslist.org/tld/5464460960.html

Yet I could get a new saw for not much more: http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Hybrid-Table-Saw/G0771

For 700 you could have a new saw..

Just now, TIODS said:

For 700 you could have a new saw..

That's about what I've found.  But *if* I can fix this one up for just *another* $30, why spend $700.

What I don't want to do is either (1) spend as much time resetting things as working or (2) spend $25 - $50 here and there, ever few of months, trying to make it "right" when it never will be or when I don't have the mechanical skills to accomplish the goal.

Just now, collinb said:

That's about what I've found.  But *if* I can fix this one up for just *another* $30, why spend $700.

What I don't want to do is either (1) spend as much time resetting things as working or (2) spend $25 - $50 here and there, ever few of months, trying to make it "right" when it never will be or when I don't have the mechanical skills to accomplish the goal.

The time you invest is also worth something.  

My belt/disc sander went TU the other day.  Yes, I'll pull it apart and see if it's something simple.  But, it's only going to get about 10 minutes of my time before it's gone and replaced!

I have the same saw, and had the same problem, I replaced the pulley, the key, and realigned the motor to the internal pulley, and so far, it's working fine.  The pulley and key are less than $20, and stock items at any hardware store!  The alignment takes some patience, but it's easy enough!

4 hours ago, RichardA said:

I have the same saw, and had the same problem, I replaced the pulley, the key, and realigned the motor to the internal pulley, and so far, it's working fine.  The pulley and key are less than $20, and stock items at any hardware store!  The alignment takes some patience, but it's easy enough!

Nice to know I'm not alone.  How long ago was it you did this?

Looks like I should order the machined steel pulleys.  They're cheap enough.  I don't think my local hardware store has the pulleys (steel ones) though I know they have the keys, and yes they're quite cheap.

34 minutes ago, collinb said:

Nice to know I'm not alone.  How long ago was it you did this?

Looks like I should order the machined steel pulleys.  They're cheap enough.  I don't think my local hardware store has the pulleys (steel ones) though I know they have the keys, and yes they're quite cheap.

Had the problem about a year ago, no problem since, didn't even use Loctite on the set screw!

On 3/24/2016 at 9:01 AM, Just Bob said:

It looks like that pulley is set up for a woodruff key, is there a matching channel on the motor shaft?  If so are you missing the key? If not, is it the wrong pulley?

Did you say whether there was a woodruff key? Or a channel for one in the shaft?  That seems like a pretty standard feature in this application and not using a proper key in the key way would explain the problem.

Hi, Colin - I had a similar problem with my Rockwell pre Delta contractors saw. It had cast pulleys and the bore wore out. I went down to the local bearing supply house and got a couple of machined steel pulleys surprisingly cheap. Lined everything up and it has been good ever since. I do use a link belt.