Water based poly - best non-yellowing

Allan Grant

My sister's friend is building a new home with exposed pine beams.  He wants to keep it as white as possible.  He's looking at Rustoleum Ultimate Polyurethane, Deft Interior/Exterior, General Finishes EnduroClear and two flooring products,  Lenmar and Bona which I've never heard of.  Does anyone have any experience with which WB Poly is the 'whitest?'  This will be a brush-on, not sprayed, application.  Thanks.

The General Finishes water-based lacquer may be a cheaper way to go. However, the tech data sheet recommends spray. You may want to purchase a quart and see how brushing goes? I'm assuming these are ceiling beams? 

If so, not a huge deal if the finish isn't perfect like a table top. The goal is to seal. The tone of wood is going to change as it ages, no mater what coating you put over it. However, the water based finish that is "water white" will not yellow over time.

-Ace-

Bona is a floor finish.   he can certainly use it on the beams but it seems to be an expensive option for something that will see no wear.  

see if you can get a sample of rubio monocoat 5% white.  It is a mix of oil and wax with a little bit of white pigment, which will cancel out the yellow and help keep it looking natural.  It is marketed as a floor finish.   

In terms of waterbased products I would recommend GF high performance.   

• 3 weeks later...