Outdoor Table

Dknapp34

First project journal here.  I keep forgetting to take pics as I work, so I've never done one before, but I'm going to make a real effort to remember this time around.

Wife said she wanted to buy a new table for our back patio.  So I explained to her that it would be crazy to buy one, when I could built one for three times the cost and probably not be finished until next winter.  For some reason, she agreed to let me do it.  I usually just do a rough drawing on paper and then start cutting, figuring that it will all come together in the end.  For this one, I figured I would try and do a little more planning, so I did a sketch up model first.

Here's a view of the top:

Outdoor table Top View.jpg

Here's a side view of the base:

Outdoor table side view.jpg

At first, I was planning on using ipe, but after doing the sketch up and figuring out how much material I would need, I got some a little bit of sticker shock.  Also, my wife wanted something light that we could move it around if we needed to, and ipe weighs a ton so it wasn't really a good option.  So with cheap and light being the criteria, I opted for cypress.  I'm sure it will get a little dented up because it's pretty soft, but so be it.  

The top will be 5/4 and the base is laminated 8/4.  Dimensions are 72"L x 37 1/4" W.  All of the joinery will be M&T, including all of the narrow slats.  I believe there will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 126 M&Ts, so my router and dado stack will be getting a work out.  One goal of this project is to master cutting M&Ts, so I figure by the end I will have that one checked off the list (unless I give up and buy a domino halfway though...).  The stretcher will be connected to the legs with tusk tenons. I've always wanted to make something with one, but I haven't had the opportunity before.  

It's been a couple of months since I've had a big project, so I'm really excited about this one.  

I'm a few days behind on journaling, so this one is to catch up.  I picked up the cypress on Saturday and started working right away (not best practices, I know, but I've never been one for patience).  Here are the 8/4 boards for the base cut roughly to size:

IMG_8355.JPG

As I mentioned in another post, my jointer has been crapping out on me when it's under load.  I managed to get a few boards done by taking really light passes until it stalled, waiting until it started working again and repeating.  Then I opened up the switch to take a look and discovered some pretty wonky wiring that, as some people here advised me, is potentially dangerous. So I figured it was best to give the jointer a rest and did the rest of the boards by hand. 

The goal is to have the legs be 3 1/2" thick, so I will be laminating two 8/4 pieces to get the right thickness.  I planed each piece down to about 1 7/8 and I'll get everything to final thickness after laminating.  My lunch box planer leaves some pretty bad snipe, so I cleaned that up by hand:

IMG_8363.JPG

All of the parts for the base milled up:

IMG_8366.JPG

Tonight's to-do list is just to get everything laminated so I can get the parts cut to length and milled to final thickness.  Then on to the joinery.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TIODS said:

A lot of work to do by hand!  Nice job!

Thanks, but it was only partially by hand, so I can't take all the credit.  I did get some boards done before I gave up on the jointer, and I used my lunch box planer, so I really only had to do one face and one edge for some of them.  

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Nice looking cypress. Do you find it difficult to work?

It hand planes beautifully with a sharp blade, but it does seem to tear out pretty easily if the blade gets dull and there's some squirrely grain in some of the boards.  I had one board that I got a bad tear out on because the grain did a 180 in the middle of the board and I wasn't paying close enough attention, so I didn't change planing directions.  I probably let it go a little long between sharpening too.  That said, I got very little to no tear out with my lunch box planer.

Got some more work done on the base.  First, I made an MDF template for the curves.  It's a little hard to tell the different from the picture, but the right side is slightly beefier than the left.  I polled the audience at home (my wife and in-laws, who are visiting) and the consensus was that the beefier version looked better given the thickness of the legs:

IMG_8385.JPG

Traced the curve on the legs, cut on the bandsaw and smoothed it out with my rasps:

IMG_8390.JPG

Still have some refining of the curves to do, but here's a view of one of the legs:

IMG_8393.JPG

I'm also going to cut a curve into the bottom, so there are two points of contact with the ground, one on each end.  My thought was that this would help to keep the table stable, as my patio is not very level.  Also, I think it would lighten up the look of the base, which will probably go better with the design for the top.  

• Like 2

This might be a stupid question, but am I right in assuming the outside edge of the mortise for the wedged through tenon on the stretcher should be angled to match the angle of the wedge?  I've never done one of these joints before, so I'm kind of winging it.

• 2 weeks later...

Update time.  Cut the curve on the bottom of the legs:

IMG_8407.JPG

Had an oh crap moment as I was moving one of the legs and dropped it.  Cypress is pretty soft so, of course, it dented one of the corners of the vertical pieces, which would be really obvious when it's attached to the rest of the leg.  Luckily I was able to mostly fix it by soaking the corner in water so the dent swelled out.  You can still see a little dent, but it should be pretty much invisible once I put a round over on and sand everything:

IMG_8395.JPG

After that potential disaster was averted, I milled all of the 5/4 stock for the top and cut everything to size:

IMG_8405.JPG

I left the long side pieces for the top long.  I figured the best method for putting the top together would be to first do sub-assemblies of the cross pieces and short slats, glue the sub-assemblies together, and then use that to mark the mortises for the long side pieces.  Since I'm cutting a curve on the ends of the top, any extra length on the side pieces is going to get cut off anyway.  

Next up, 120 mortise and tenons...

Soaking the area in hot water and then applying a hot iron works very,well,on dents like that. I use my edgebanding iron but a household iron set for cotton works as well. A damp rag keeps the metal from marking the wood but I just sand off the marks after it dries overnight .

Just now catching up to this thread. Don't know how I missed it. I sure like the design and the joinery is very well done. I see that your question about the wedges has gone unanswered. I've only done two projects that included wedges and they were installed in straight kerfs. Not sure if that was right or not. Keep up the good work.

Just now catching up to this thread. Don't know how I missed it. I sure like the design and the joinery is very well done. I see that your question about the wedges has gone unanswered. I've only done two projects that included wedges and they were installed in straight kerfs. Not sure if that was right or not. Keep up the good work.

My terminology was off. It's not a wedged tenon where you drive a wedge through a kerf in the end grain of the tenon. I think what I'm using is called a tusk tenon. I think the mortise in the part of the tenon that sticks out has to have the outside wall at an angle so that everything is drawn tight when you drive the wedge through. My thought was to drill out most of the waste and then use a jig to chisel the correct angle of the mortise wall. Never done one before though, so if anyone has tips I'd appreciate it.

Got some more work done over the last few days.  I wanted to be able to make the mortises as quickly as possible with as little room for error as possible, so I made a jig that spanned the entire length of the cross pieces (in case you can't see it, it's the mdf thing buried in the pile of junk on my bench):

IMG_8415.JPG

Took quite a while to do them all and I have a sore back from bending over, but I got all of the mortises for the slats done:

IMG_8417.JPG

Next up, the tenons.  I used a dado blade buried in an MDF sacrificial fence and the miter gauge with a scrap backer to prevent tearout.  Here's the finished pile of slats (if you look closely you can see a couple that I forgot to flip over and had to go back and re-do...luckily I hadn't moved the fence or changed the blade height, so it was no big deal):

IMG_8418.JPG 

Then I set everything up on my outfeed table to figure out which pieces should go where and marked each slat and cross-piece with letters and numbers so I know what goes where:

IMG_8420.JPG

Starting to look a little like a table.  Next up, rounding over and fitting 120 tenons/wishing I had a domino.