Finish options for Rustic Outdoor Table

akochevar

Hello all.  I am in the process of finishing up my version of the Rustic Outdoor Table that Mark built.  As its my first project of this scale I went with construction lumber instead of something "nicer".  I have seen 2 of his videos regarding finishing outdoor furniture in Arizona(where I am as well) and am looking for advice on which one would be best.  In the table video he uses teak oil, which as he states I would need to reapply every year or so.  In another video he refinishes his parents door with a home made blend.  I am willing to try that application if it will yield a superior product, but wanted the advice of the forum on how you guys would proceed.

Thanks in advance for the words!

One thing that you may not be aware of, as I wasn't until I wrote into the podcast and asked - is that apparently Teak Oil won't stop your piece from graying and what not. You need the film of something with UV protection to stop that. Just in case that factors into your decision.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a redwood picnic table that is over 50 years old.  For many years my father applied linseed oil to it.  A few years ago I moved it to the beach and it was showing signs of wear, so I put two coats of ClearShield outdoor coating for wood by Minwax.  A year later it looks bleached.  Should I apply another coat or can I put linseed oil on it?

I built one of those tables as well and before I finished I emailed Marc to see how the teak oil was holding. He said it wasn't holding up well at all and said he'd use an Epifanes mixture if he did it again. I ended up using a slightly thinned mix of Epifanes. For the final coat you can use the Epifanes Matte finish to cut down on the high gloss that Epifanes is notorious for. So far the finish is holding up well.

On 4/16/2016 at 4:35 PM, mkrusen said:

I built one of those tables as well and before I finished I emailed Marc to see how the teak oil was holding. He said it wasn't holding up well at all and said he'd use an Epifanes mixture if he did it again. I ended up using a slightly thinned mix of Epifanes. For the final coat you can use the Epifanes Matte finish to cut down on the high gloss that Epifanes is notorious for. So far the finish is holding up well.

I remember him talking about this also.  I think he said it just wasn't enough of anything to actually hold up outside. 

You could certainly go with the Matte the whole way. It just may end up looking a bit too flat. That satin look with a little bit of sheen but not shiny is what a lot of people aim for with furniture. Unfortunately, Epifanes doesn't make a satin finish that I am aware of. So you're stuck using gloss then top coating with matte to kill that excessive shininess.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright guys need a bit of advice.  I went ahead and mixed Marc's recipe to try on a test board.  I realized as I was mixing that I might have a problem because we decided to use a gel stain to darken the wood.  Coat one dried in about 24 hours here in Arizona, however coat 2 has been sitting for 48+ and is still tacky.  Im beginning to think that using BLO over the gel stain may not have been such a great idea.  I absolutely love how the finish self leveled and got so smooth and glossy, but obviously it needs to dry!  What can you guys suggest to ensure I get a dry finish.  Reference I used 2/5 BLO, 2/5 NAP, 1/5 Epifanes, per Marc's video.  I considered going with the traditional 1/3 1/3 1/3 but I am thinking that may not be enough of a change.  I appreciate your suggestions!