Which Bad Axe saw would you get?

sjk

The best wife in the world has been bringing up the topic of Bad Axe saws lately, and slyly trying to get my opinions on which saw would be best, handle choice, etc. My birthday is in a few months. I figure I better firm up my opinions in a hurry! I can figure out the material choices, but the type of saw and filing are still open questions.

I currently have the Veritas dovetail and crosscut saws (http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=64007&cat=1,42884,68511&ap=1).

I also have some EBay backsaws that I’ve rehabbed as I’ve learned to sharpen. They’re ok, “warranted superior”, straight and track well even after my sharpening :). One’s rip, the other is crosscut. They have about 2 1/2 inches from teeth to spine.

I build furniture and small projects, with the occasional DIY project thrown in. I don’t timberframe.  I was a mostly power tool woodworker, but in the last few years have been incorporating more hand tools.  I'm probably 70/30 split right now.

What Bad Axe would you add to that mix? Would you replace one of the current saws or add to my capabilities by filling a hole? (For example a longer crosscut saw or a, uh, “taller” tenon saw)

I haven't done enough with these to warrant a sharpening. I'd probably send the big one back because I don't know how to sharpen the voodoo that is hybrid filing... I'll sharpen the dovetail saw myself.

Mark does have a class that I am trying to find time to attend on sharpening. It's a crappy excuse, but it's a very long drive to his shop.

This is my first post and I don't want to come off as a jerk, but I'd order something fast or something already made if you want to unwrap it on your birthday. I ordered one after doing some extensive research, and I think I made a good decision. I am still waiting for the saw to ship though, and it's been 9 weeks. 

I think quality is worth waiting for, and I'm not upset..but my girlfriend would be pissed if she had ordered it for my birthday and it didn't arrive on time. 

This is not a rant though, as I fully expect to buy more saws from Bad Axe in the future. 

I was in a very similar situation when I got my first Bad Axe. I went with a hybrid filed 16 inch tenon. This saw, if I'm not mistaken, is referred to as the Jack plane of saws.  It can obviously cut deep tenons, but it can be easily used as a carcass saw with your bench hooks. I eventually bought a dedicated carcass saw. Not because the tenon saw was bad, but because I got a saw problem lol. 

If the tenon saw seems too large for your current workflow, consider the hybrid tenon/dovetail saw as well. Best of luck. 

To me it sounds like you've got the smaller saws covered with the Veritas crosscut & dovetail and the (most likely Disston made) warranted superior saws. So what's left in my opinion would be a good Tenon saw. If you think you'll need it. Otherwise just get a Bad Axe to directly replace one of your existing saws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice.  :)

I'm leaning towards the 16" tenon saw (filed rip, although from its name it should just be rip, thanks saw makers for adding choices to muddy up our conversations).  I'm thinking my medium-long term Bad Axe purchases will be a stiletto (dovetail saw for those who don't know), a bayonet (their reinvention of the crosscut saw), and the aforementioned tenon saw.  I'm not sure if my long term plans should include a big sash saw for crosscuts in thick stock.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

For my bd, my wife took me to Walgreens card dept. and had me stand off to one side while she picked out a card. When she found just the right one, she handed it to me. After I read it, she took it and put it back in the rack and said, happy birthday. Yep, I'd say you did darn good. Congrats!

LOL - looks like Mrs. Cooper knows how to handle ya :)

50 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Happy belated Birthday ! What an amazing birthday gift, lucky guy !!

31 minutes ago, Llama said:

Nice set!!! 

Thanks guys!

10 hours ago, RichardA said:

For next year, you should start  looking at BCTW tools now!  

But I don't know how to play bass!

8 hours ago, TIODS said:

The Mrs done good!  Congrats and happy birthday!

She did indeed :)  And thanks for the birthday wishes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prov163 said:

SJK, Wow!  Awesome gift.  I was going to complain that my wife would never do that, but then I remembered she did buy me a new Harley recently :)

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Wow nice gift!! You will love the saws I have one of their hybrid tenon saws and a small crosscut saw they both work well and look even better. FWIW my wife let me buy them for myself ;)

Thanks guys - she's totally awesome.  Sounds like you two made out pretty well too :)