Office Desk

I'm going to actually do my first build journal vs just taunting one like I did with my bench, my new home office desk. Here is the quick SketchUp I've been working on the past few months.

IMG_0618.jpg

It's going to be built out of walnut, cool story behind the walnut... My dad cut it down from his farm about 10 years ago and has been air drying in his barn. I'd call it Common 1 & 2 grade. This weekend I was able to get the initial milling complete which was quite a challenge given how twisted and cupped some of the boards were. Lots of knots filled with epoxy today (tinted to walnut with TransTinit) and will need to add another layer tomorrow. I'm hopeful that after hanging in my shop for over a year and then sitting a full week+ before final dimensioning that it'll be stable. 

Few thoughts on construction plans. The sides and back will connect the top and bottom via long mortise and tenons, much like Cremona is doing the dividers on the Sofa Table build. I thought about doing dovetails for the drawer dividers but I don't want any exposed joinery, I'll do a mortise and tenons for those. The legs/shelves are not going to be "attached" to the top, instead the top will rest on the legs/shelves and aligned with table leaf pins.

• 1 month later...

Your decision to just go make another one is a good one.  I have saved a ton of time by not trying to fix something that could be better used as smaller parts for something else.  When making sets I will make one just how I want it and then use it as a story stick for its cousins. 

• 2 weeks later...

Need some help. Finally decided what kind of joint to use to attached the shelves to the legs, now I'm trying to figure out a better way to cut them. 

Here's what it'll look like:

Campaign_Desk_-_SketchUp_Make_2016 (1).jpg

Here's what my test piece looks like:

IMG_1021 (1).jpgIMG_1023 (1).jpgIMG_1025 (1).jpg

I'm trying to figure out how to best cut the "tenon", the mortises are already done (used dovetail saw and chisel). For the test tenon i used a dovetail saw where i could and then use a chisel to slowly pair away until i got to my desired tenon thickness.

Anyone have a better/faster method to achieve the tenon as shown above?

• Like 1