Store display unit.

Marcel.F

My sister and brother in law own a smoked meats shop down town and have approached me to make them a new "rustic" display cabinet. She showed me a couple pictures she liked from Pintress and I came up with a design to suit their needs. Here's what I got so far. 6542176b5372f08228c618f5c5370a61.jpge01bc3fe92deef621107befaed45dfb2.jpghttps://vimeo.com/161421014

I'm picking up the wood tomorrow and starting to work on it with my dad. I'm 110% it'll look nothing like my sketch up drawing. Because my back is broken I have to walk my dad through the build and I know he's not going to want to do it my way for the sake of butting heads. It's was we do. I'm pretty sure when I go lay down to rest I'll get back in the shop and everything will have pocket holes in it.... Oh well I'm not getting paid to do this so...

I'll take some progress pics and post them as we go.

Marcel---

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks Wdwerker! I dove deep into the darkest corners of Houzz and Pintress for this one haha.

It'll be out of made out of white pine, so basically pallet wood without the nail holes and dirt.

On the bright side, the shop will smell amazing!

Marcel---

• Like 1

Joseph, I broke my back in three places back in October. I'm off work till 2017 at the earliest. So for the foreseeable future it's the new normal. I've been messing around carving spoons to pass the time but just that takes me several days to complete.

As for time line. They'll need it in the store stocked with merchandise on April 23-24.

I was talking to my dad at today and he was saying he wanted to use 3" nails to fasten the face frames lol.

Marcel---

The "new normal" includes great pains meds though so that's a nice little bonus.

I sound like a French country, pocket hole, pill popping junkie.

That's Not the case trust me. Well only the French part is.

Marcel---

I was wondering if you meant "back broken" or like yesterday when I had overworked my back and could barely walk, but after a night or two of rest I can function. Now I see. Did you fight a super villain named Bane?

FYI, I have a Batman problem, hence Bane.

We had a good start to the day. As he was loading the trailer at the lumber yard I placed a longer board that was croquet and broke the tail light on his truck! DOH! $150 down the hole.

Other then that we got all the parts cut down to size and started assembling. We'll be staining by the weekend for sure.

How you'd you guys recommend fastening the top portion to the bottom cabinet. I was thinking of extending two boards from the back of the base up 3' or so and fasten from the back and a few screws from under the counter top. Kind of like putting a mirror on a dresser...

Thoughts? My dad wants to use pocket holes there haha

Janello, we get along great and spend lots of time together. Just have strong opinions. As for hiding all that gear, I can't since we're building this in his 12x20 shop because it's heated. It's still to cold here (-34C to night that's -29F). My chimney was ripped off my shops roof this winter during a storm and I can't fix it due to my back. I'll wait till the fall to get that done.

Marcel---

ba89ea8cccde6c014e3b5283b6997bed.jpg

Marcel---

53 minutes ago, Marcel.F said:

How you'd you guys recommend fastening the top portion to the bottom cabinet. I was thinking of extending two boards from the back of the base up 3' or so and fasten from the back and a few screws from under the counter top. Kind of like putting a mirror on a dresser...

Thoughts? My dad wants to use pocket holes there haha

You could use dominos or dowels in the verticals to the top.  If you don't glue them in, the pieces could be separated later if needed but, they'd still keep the top from sliding off the bottom. 

Today I left for 2 hours to go to my Phisyo therapy and when I came back there was about 10,000 pocket holes drilled. Hahaha. I might be exaggerating slightly but didn't I tell you guys he would as soon as I'd leave him alone lol.

The base is completed, other than staining it.

Sorry about the curved look I got from the picture, we're in close quarters in that shop.

0097d6c3a8da63423291b85ec7dee0f0.jpg

Marcel---

• Like 2

Too funny about them pocket holes. I like it curved ! remake it...curved.

In that case, it is curved and my camera took a perfect shot of it. Just stop following this thread... Hahaha

Yeah you definately called it but quite honestly,  if you're hoping to have it done and finished by your deadline, traditional joinery would have eaten up a lot of time so maybe it's a good thing

You sound a lot like my old man.... Where's the ambition!

Pocket holes or not, at least you have made significant progress.  I guess that is the price to be paid for achieving the end result.  Looking good so far.  

By the way, when I first saw the pic, I was amused by the curvy look.  Then I read your text.  LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay guys and gals. My back has kept me in bed for a few day and my dad is shift work 7on 5off. So there's been some time since I've last got a picture of two.

So far the entire thing if assembled and were in the process of staining. I'll get a few shots of it but they won't be any good as the top portion doesn't even fit because my dads shop is to short lol. It's scheduled to make its way into the store the first weekend of May now. And I'll get some real nice photos then.

Just wanted to keep yous up to date in the mean time.

Cheers.

Marcel---