Mahogany Rorschach Test

tkerr7735

I'm into slabs and burls and exotic hardwoods of any kind.

Last fall I purchased two book-matched hybrid mahogany slabs from Puerto Rico. I've been playing with them off and on for four months. I found this site by Googling "how to fill large voids in wood slabs." Short version is that P.R. clear cut most of its mahogany forests long ago. There were two primary species. Reforesting efforts were largely unsuccessful for both species. Wood borers claimed the seedlings. They have been successful in cross-breeding the two species. The trees are now 50 year old.  A few dozen have been harvested. I bought two of the first marketed slabs.

This is one of those cases where I didn't go looking for a wood for my project. I bought two beautiful slabs and started looking for a project. Frankly, the best project would have been to build an artist's easel and display the joined slabs as a vertical work of art. Unfortunately or fortunately, the slabs are roughly 21"w x 72"l x 1 7/8" thick and weigh roughly 80 lbs each. Would take one helluva easel.

This is a form of Rorschach test. What do you see in the figure?

mahogany top-1.JPG

• Like 1