Miter Key (box spline) Jig

gee-dub

1 hour ago, gee-dub said:

Absolutely!  A forum is all about sharing our knowledge, mistakes, excuses and occasional accomplishments.  Let me know if you have any questions about making one.

I understand the concept as I have been using a primitive jig like the one in your 1st pic for a good while. I'm not sure I understand about the insert. It is used on the side of the tray closest to the operator as a backer board, correct?

1 hour ago, Brendon_t said:

I use a 90°cradle with an over fence slider but have personally never found that I needed a clamp.  Did something happen to make you want a clamp? 

The clamp doesn't hold it all that tight but, is sufficient to keep things put while I am setting up.  I still set my hand on the box, frame, whatever when I run it. It is a convenience feature for me and one could certainly skip it.

2 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I understand the concept as I have been using a primitive jig like the one in your 1st pic for a good while. I'm not sure I understand about the insert. It is used on the side of the tray closest to the operator as a backer board, correct?

Quite correct.  This is the exit point of the cutter and if your jig is pretty chewed up there is no support.  As the cut is often on long grain this can flick out a disappointing chunk at the absolute worst place and time ;-(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

That is a great jig.  What do you use for the inserts, 1/4  ply?

1/4" MDF.  I use it a lot for templates so I often have scraps around big enough for things like this.  Whatever you have will probably work fine.  It should have a consistent thickness as it is part of the registration surface.