Jig saw recommendations... Bosch barrel grip?

SawDustB

I've decided I've finally had it with the cheap Master craft jig saw that I've been using... It won't cut square, straight, or fast. I'd like to get something decent, although I'm not looking for Festool expensive. What are your favorite brands/saws?

Based on the reviews online, and what I think I'm looking for, I'm thinking of the Bosch barrel grip saw (JS470EB). Anyone have one?

71102effa19fa8f60f8e53df7cb50232.jpg

7 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Ok if you have big hands

So true on this.  I checked out the one you mention and the pricier model recently, and they felt huge in my puny paws.  I was pretty surprised at the size actually, not so much that it was uncomfortable but not ideal for me either.  Worth checking out in person if you are able to.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

This is probably one of those tool choices you should lay your hands on and feel for yourself. Being able to try a friends saw would be best if possible.

Yes!  This!  I was responding from my phone nd was being brief but, like a router or a hand plane, a jig saw is very much a personal choice type of tool.

I have a 20v Dewalt cordless and although I don't use it much, like it a lot. Nowadays, with cordless tools being so good, I only buy a corded tool if it needs the power or they don't make a cordless version. 20V battery power is plenty for a jig saw.

But hey, if you want a cord to get caught on stuff and trip on and have to wrap it up every time you put it away, who am I to stop ya. :D

Wow, lots of responses. I guess I should stop by home depot, since that's my only real option for seeing a decent variety in person. Sounds like the barrel grip is a love it or hate it kind of thing... I think it appeals, but I'll go in and pretend I'm cutting things with it and see.

Even though i differ from other on this, I have the barrel grip Festool Trion and it's the best jigsaw I ever owned.  The 2 my father gave me and one I bought, I got rid of.  I don't like the D handle version, because of eye dominance issue.  To me it was worth the money and will admit it is one of my favorites tools to use.  

I'm not too worried about the hand size needed for the barrel grip. I usually wear large gloves. I like the idea of holding it closer to the work surface, since I feel like I'd have more control. The fallback plan at the moment is to buy basically the same jigsaw in the top handle if I don't like it.

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally pulled the trigger on the Makita barrel grip saw (4351FCT) today, since I'll need a jigsaw for an upcoming project. I looked at the more expensive Bosch and the Festool, but it was more than I was looking to spend. The Makita edged out the cheaper Bosch for a couple of reasons - I liked that the Makita had a LED light, I liked the dust collection attachment a little better, and it's supposed to be quieter with less vibration. Should be here next week.

I really dont like the makitas, while the big boschs arent quite what they used to be they came back in quality quite a bit and short of the fes that is the only one i can recommend. I was doing a huge floor project that was a cherry tree cut out of rough boards (not straightlined) and everything had to be debarked and left with a 90° edge to be able to assemble them, join them and fill in the back ground. Required thousands of feet of jigsaw cutting, burnt 2 makitas and beforw they crapped out they left far from perpendicular cuts. While this is an extreme use case where they literally were running 10 hours a day with only maybe a total of 1.5hrs down time through out... the big boschs did fine.

I recently bought the Bosch JS572EBL, which is one model up from the 470 you were looking at and I love it. It's a bit pricier but still $100 less than the Festool and you don't need an addition $200 accessory kit to get the tilt base.

The only thing I've had to compare it to is a very cheap Skil jigsaw and the difference is night and day. I have medium-large hands and love the barrel grip. The cut is amazingly clean and plumb and the saw is very easy to control.

Well, thanks for the comments guys. I just got the Makita in the mail today. I'm going to be using it pretty light duty, so I think it'll suit me fine. It's so smooth compared to any jigsaw I've ever used... Can't wait to use it on a project.

I should mention for anyone looking at these, the Makita is a little smaller in the hand than the Bosch. I found it pretty comfortable to hold.

3 hours ago, SawDustB said:

Well, thanks for the comments guys. I just got the Makita in the mail today. I'm going to be using it pretty light duty, so I think it'll suit me fine. It's so smooth compared to any jigsaw I've ever used... Can't wait to use it on a project.

I should mention for anyone looking at these, the Makita is a little smaller in the hand than the Bosch. I found it pretty comfortable to hold.

I bet it will work out great. Congrats on your new addition.

• Like 1