Hope it wasn't one of you..

Cliff

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

Isn't that over the original cost ? 

I waited a year and a half until they ran another batch. I think I paid around $185. They are useful and very well made. Heavy enough that you can lay it in place and make a pencil mark without holding it in place.

Yup that is over the original cost. I just find so many situations that thing would be perfect for, so I was willing to spend extra on it and completely messed up!

If I was having an important man kind of surgery, I'd want the doc to be spot on. But a $250 for a  nuts on square?  RichardA sent me a really cool looking one that he made of walnut that you could pull a vacuum against.

When I used it to square up my sliding crosscut tables fence I was able to take 1/16 off of the edge of a 5' X 5' sheet of Baltic Birch that was within 1/256 th of width comparing ends with digital calipers.  I could get it within a 1/16 before and that took a hour or more. 10-15 minutes w the big framing square. So I guess it depends on your need for accuracy and how much you. Value your time. It has been in constant use for the last 4 years so it was worth it for my shop.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, K Cooper said:

If I was having an important man kind of surgery, I'd want the doc to be spot on. But a $250 for a  nuts on square?  RichardA sent me a really cool looking one that he made of walnut that you could pull a vacuum against.

You talk to much, ya bum!

• Like 1

Every time I get those "last chance, one-time" emails, I get dangerously close to buying whatever it is they're selling.  I guess I'm exactly the type of sucker they are targeting with those ads.  I've only pulled the trigger twice -- a 6" square and a 12" straight edge -- but I've come pretty close to some much more expensive purchases before.  If the 26" framing square comes up again, I would definitely buy it.  

1 hour ago, Dknapp34 said:

Every time I get those "last chance, one-time" emails, I get dangerously close to buying whatever it is they're selling.  I guess I'm exactly the type of sucker they are targeting with those ads.  I've only pulled the trigger twice -- a 6" square and a 12" straight edge -- but I've come pretty close to some much more expensive purchases before.  If the 26" framing square comes up again, I would definitely buy it.  

I give every email they send a hard look. I bought one thing, the little set of 3 smaller t-squares that were leftover from the one-time run. And I thought I ought the 12 inch straight edge that had leftovers too, but I must not have hit submit because I realized a week later I had never gotten a confirmation email. Then I just bought a shorter Veritas precision straight edge and was done with it.

I'd say that framing square is the one thing I feel like is a must have for what I'm doing. And honestly it's not a must have, but it would just make everything so much better. Adjusting the track saw, making crosscut sleds HHH style, etc. I thought the 32" precision t-square would help on the track saw, but turns out it's got a lip on it so you can't square a track. Oops!

9 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

So...is that one of the "one-time, well ok, just one more time" tools?

Yup! Looks like I'm waiting for the next time they run them.

On April 9, 2016 at 4:43 PM, andrew-in-austin said:

I don't know why they don't make the large square a regular item. Seems like it has plenty of demand. 

It is frustrating for us consumers. I don't fault their business model so much as I wish they focused less on the gimmicky crap they come out with so often. If they want to release something limited, and sell them out that's cool. I'm sure they have an idea of how many of the next crappy thing they will sell simply because we don't know if we are going to want it in 6 months. That's the part I don't agree with as a consumer.

On the other hand, I love BCTW for the same reasons... The idea that they aren't going to make 20 million of a certain thing to be offered until the end of time. It holds and often increases the value of the products.

Sucks to miss something I would later have a use for and have to shell out a few extra bucks for a used item. Oh well... I suppose we could just start our own company and show them how it's done...