Can anyone help!

Snibley

Hello

i have  recently, finished a harvest table with matching bench, made out of very old pine. I stained the bench first with min-wax Jacobean finishing stain. The bench took the stain very well and went as dark as I wanted but I noticed it was inconsistent and bloctchy. As a preventative to stop the table from getting bloctchy and to ensure a more even coat , I used a sanding sealer on the table top only as I wasn't to concerned about the bottom as it wouldn't be seen with exception of the skirt. As you can see in the picture the difference is substantial and even after I left the satin on for 15 min it did not get darker.  To say the least I am freaking out as now the bench and table legs are a different colour (dark) and the table top stringer and leg braces are a  much lighter colour....and I'm suppose to deliver this next week to customer.

Q. Is there anyway I can get th tabletop the same colour as the rest of the pieces?  I plan on simply putting as many Coates  as possible to get the same colour but I'm not confident that I will get there....

image.jpeg

Mat60 is right, the sealer is doing its job, and preventing the stain from penetrating. Sand it away, then sand to a much higher grit to reduce blotching. Go way up, like 400 to 600 grit. You may still need multuple coats of stain, but they will eventually reach the color you want. With sealer, they probably won't.