Air Filter

prov163

Grizzly has an overhead air filter on sale. It's 1/8 hp, with 3 cfm settings of 260, 362 & 409.  It filters down to 1 micron. I know I should have one and this is a good price. My shop is 12 x 24. Is this big enough?  At $109 plus shipping it's a good deal. 

I just bought a true (99.97 percent of 0.3 micron particles) air filter from Costco of all places.  It will filter up to 800 sq ft which is bigger than my shop so I'm hoping it will do a good job.  Has a pre-filter that I can clean regularly and it has a timer I can set for auto shutoff.  

Cost me almost $300 Canadian dollars.

If you also wear a respirator this would help clear the air of visible haze.  1 micron is the size of talcum powder.  Not something you want to breath and I don't think you want a 1 micron dust accelerator in your shop ;-)  .3 microns is in the range of cigarette smoke. 

We all want to do our best at controlling the particles we breathe.  If this unit will be a step up from what you have now, I would do it.  I would not consider it the end of your safety journey though ;-)

11 hours ago, ChrisG-Canada said:

I just bought a true (99.97 percent of 0.3 micron particles) air filter from Costco of all places.  It will filter up to 800 sq ft which is bigger than my shop so I'm hoping it will do a good job.  Has a pre-filter that I can clean regularly and it has a timer I can set for auto shutoff.  

Cost me almost $300 Canadian dollars.

Is this an air purifier? :unsure: You really want an "air filter" that can change out the air faster than an air purifier. What is the CFM rating on your new purchase? My shop made air filter with an attic fan and is rated 1250 CFM.

-Ace-

It's an air purifier but the most important thing for me is true HEPA. I haven't found any commercial air purifiers that are real HEPA.  In my opinion most of the air cleaners will just stir up the very fine particles and redistribute them into the air.

My business experience includes Asbestos Abatement (i.e. safe removal). I know way too much about the danger of the very fine (1 to 0.3 micron) particles.  Trust me, it's the tiny particles you can't see that are the most dangerous.

This summer I may end up making a large air cleaner from a recycled HEPA Negative Air machine that I have access to,. That will provide true HEPA and significant air movement - the machines are used to depressurize large work areas to prevent any airborne particles from escaping except through the filters.

Do keep in mind, the filtration is driven by the cartridge and not the unit.  You can find HEPA filters at your local big box and upgrade your 1 micron to .3 or better.  It'll set you back $30-$50, and you may have to modify size/shape, but it is easy to change to your preference.  Focus on the amount of air it moves, and the noise, the filtration is secondary.  Do keep in mind, higher filtration chokes off CFM, so buy over powered.  

Given the nature of CFM ratings (and lack of controls around them) I'd guess you'd be lucky to get 300 CFM out of the grizzly with a HEPA filter in it.

1 hour ago, bleedinblue said:

Stumpy Nubs has a video showing how he connected a Wyn cartridge filter to the exhaust side of his air filter.  Lots and lots of surface area and extremely fine filtration.  Seems logical.

I asked Wynn about using the dust collector filter I bought from them as an environmental filter, and they said that it was originally designed as an environmental filter, so it would work fine.

I've been trying come up with a way to use one filter for both my dust collector and for my air cleaner.  Maybe have the dust collector feed in from one end, and the air cleaner from the other, with butterfly dampers to keep the air from passing from one end to the other.  I eventually decided that I was over-complicating the whole thing, and decided to just make a separate air cleaner with HEPA furnace filters.