Shop (re)-setup

Brian Endres

over the winter months all of my woodworking tools were shoved in the corner of the garage to make room for other stuff.  So over the past couple weeks I have started moving stuff back out and getting everything set back up.  I have also decided to make some upgrades.  

I was playing with sketchup the other day and deiced to do a rough layout. I have done a couple small shop furniture projects since i arranged everything. I am pretty happy with the layout so far.

I stalled new pvc duct work for my dust collector. I am pretty happy with the amount of suction the HF dust collector is providing.

Existing Garage Shop2.jpg

IMG_2141.JPG

IMG_2142.JPG

IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_2144.JPG

IMG_2145.JPG

I am now in the process of building a control system for my Dust collector so I can start and stop it from multiple places in the shop.  I am using a contactor with aux contacts.  for now it will switch power on and off to the HF dust collector but one day I hope to upgrade to a larger cyclone and I have built the controls to handle this.

The controls are all 24vac.

I also built a wall cabinet (still need to put a door on it) over the weekend that will hold all my router bits and ROS/paper.

20160410_164429.jpg

20160410_180343.jpg

20160410_180354.jpg

20160412_082051.jpg

20160410_111829.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I got a little more time to work in the shop over the weekend.  Only have time for small projects in between trying to clean and organize the rest of the garage and trailer we use to work on our rentals. and get ready for the Wedding which is now only 39 Days away.

Last weekend I swapped out the electrical sub-panel from a 6 slot Square D panel to a 24 slot Square D panel I didn't get any pictures of that work but it is Done. Also last weekend I made a clamp rack for my Irwin quick grips because I was tired of them laying in a pile (still need to make some kind of hanger to hold all my wooden hand screw clamps).

This weekend I Installed (2) - 20amp 220v outlets in the ceiling for my Table saw and jointer (I actually ran 12-3/wg for both of them so I could run the jointer at 120v and then i realized that my jointer could be easily switched to run on 220v so I have an extra).  The last thing I completely finished was the installation of controls for the dust collector.  There are 3 buttons spaced along the wall so I can easily hit the start/stop from basically any tool. I also installed a stop button on the other side of the 3 car garage so I can kill the dust collector as I leave the building if for some reason I left it running.

Next weekend I have to run about a mile of electric fence and move some horses around so I doubt I will get any time in the shop. Buy maybe I can sneak out there a couple nights though the week.

IMG_2240.JPG

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG

IMG_2243.JPG

IMG_2244.JPG

Brian that looks like a very nice shop, and I like the clamp rack.   Have you considered adding a separator (thein baffle, or cyclone) to you dc and then exhausting it outside? I did that a couple of months ago and I am very glad I did. 

And

4 hours ago, Brian Endres said:

get ready for the Wedding which is now only 39 Days away.

Congratulations!

13 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Have you considered adding a separator (thein baffle, or cyclone) to you dc and then exhausting it outside?

That is on the list of the stuff that I would like to do.  I would like to setup the collector to go into a drum with some kind of level sensor so I know when it is full.  

I Have plans to add onto my 3 car garage (~half of which is my shop) with another 1000 sq.ft. most of which will be dedicated to being a shop.  Unfortunately it will probably be a year or two before I can even consider laying out that kind of cash. 

Nice shop! I'm glad i read all the way through this because I'm hoping soon to buy the HF DC and use PVC piping to bring collection to my tools. Do you notice any issues with static buildup in your lines and shocking yourself a lot? I was thinking of running a copper conductor and grounding it at both ends to reduce the static build up.

49 minutes ago, Brian Endres said:

That is on the list of the stuff that I would like to do.  I would like to setup the collector to go into a drum with some kind of level sensor so I know when it is full.  

I used a metal garbage can, the super dust deputy, and some ply.  I put a sight glass on the lid to check the level.  I have some pics if your interested.

The most dust I have ran through the collector right now is a couple boards through each of my machines. I didn't find three was any build up of static.  The real test will be when I start running a large volume. 

my take away from the various threads I have read on grounding the PVC ductwork is that is doesn't really make that much difference.  since PVC is not a conductor the static charge on one "side" of the pipe does not readily travel around/along the pipe so by running a ground wire along the pipe you still are leaving most of the static on the pipe. 

I'm not sure if it will work or not but I do have a plan if I start getting shocked at the blast gates to take some foil tape on the handle and ground that. so where I am grabbing is grounded.

6 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I put a sight glass on the lid

sight glass....where do you hook up the indicator lights and buzzer? :P 

Sure I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures.