Portable Sawmill Pricing

midtnwoodworker

The guy I used charged a price per bf, a price per mile he had to drive to get to you and set up fee.

Setup fee: $25

Price per mile: $1.50

Basic regular slabs: $0.35/bf

If blade is damaged: $25

My guy kind of estimated down but we ended up with $140 for 250 bf. Took about 1.5 hours. I could have saved at least $60 or so by driving to him.

22 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I had some milled a year and a half ago and he charged $100 hour. He changed blades 3 times during the 3 hours it took him to cut these logs. He did not charge for the blades and turned the clock off during the blade change.

Coop, were any of the blades damaged or just not cutting well any more? 

I should clarify that my guy only charges if the blade is Damaged and cannot be simply sharpened. He has a blade sharpening station where he can sharpen the blades in about ten minutes. 

If he hits metal buried in the log,  the teeth aren't easy to being back so those are  tossed.

38 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Coop, were any of the blades damaged or just not cutting well any more? 

I should clarify that my guy only charges if the blade is Damaged and cannot be simply sharpened. He has a blade sharpening station where he can sharpen the blades in about ten minutes. 

If he hits metal buried in the log,  the teeth aren't easy to being back so those are  tossed.

He would lay a 6' straight edge down the length of the log and across it after each cut and if he could see daylight, he would change the blade. Luckily he never came in contact with metal. Not sure what that would have cost me.

5 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

He would lay a 6' straight edge down the length of the log and across it after each cut and if he could see daylight, he would change the blade. Luckily he never came in contact with metal. Not sure what that would have cost me.

That seems a bit excessive,  whenever we get a bit of wave,  a little bump up of the hydraulic tension of the blade accounted for the stretch.