Fireworks friendly state

Rex Edgar

I live in VA. No fireworks of any note available or legal. I'm feeling the urge for some bottle rockets......What states that are not on the other side of the country have relaxed regulations as far as what can be purchased in this regard? I think Tennessee is liberal on this subject, where else and what (that flies) is available?

image.png

47 minutes ago, Acer Cletus said:

Indiana.  Chicago people go to NW indiana for fireworks, cheap gas, strippers and cheap smokes.  They have a lot of churches too.   

Isn't West Virginia like your redneck step sister? Seems like they would allow foreworks 

We don't know them ridge runners :rolleyes:

NC must be one of them, but we haven't bought any in years.  There are quite a number of homes on the lake here that have their own launcher tubes in the yard-not for bottle rockets, but permant mortars.   http://www.skylighter.com/8-inch-mortar-tube-fiberglass.html  We know they're starting because you can feel the concussion from the first launch.

On any holiday, we're completely surrounded by fireworks, and not just the toy stuff.  There are two different really big fireworks shows here on July 4th weekend, with the largest one being privately owned and financed, but most people don't even bother to go any more because all you have to do is go out in your yard.

For years, I stayed here with the horses while Pam and the kids went to one of the big shows.  The kids are grown and gone now, and if we both wanted to go, it wouldn't matter at all to the horses.  SInce those early years with the kids have come all the private launch tubes surrounding us, and the horses don't even lift their heads from grazing for any of the explosions, or bursts.

We carried one of the ponies to a local county fair to give kids pony rides with one of us on the lead line.  When we got there, one of the horse ladies in western garb and overstuffed jeans told us to tie the pony to the chain link fence with all the other horses.  She was a little huffed when we said we wouldn't do it, and would just hold the lead. 

When it was time to open the gates to let people in, they started with a fireworks display.  The other horses and ponies tied to that chain link fence left with the fence.  It didn't look like we could help much in getting their horses back, so we started giving rides to the line of kids waiting.  Our pony was completely calm, and a big hit with all the kids.  We didn't see any of those other horses any more that night.

1 hour ago, Acer Cletus said:

Indiana.  Chicago people go to NW indiana for fireworks, cheap gas, strippers and cheap smokes.  They have a lot of churches too.   

Isn't West Virginia like your redneck step sister? Seems like they would allow foreworks 

IN is legal but restricted. If you want to break curfew hours, those dates are specified. On your own property anything goes. Churches I knew. Strippers? Seriously? I guess I am glad I never needed to know that. 

I grew up in southern Michigan, the fireworks stores in Indiana near the Illinois border were always impressive.

Nebraska now believes in freedom (recent change a few years ago) so during the holidays you just have to sit outside and enjoy the neighbors/whole city turning money into noise :D. I once flew in to town the weekend of July 4th and it was impressive watching it all on approach.

It is not legal in San Jose CA. but you would never know it.  They have really lost control of it.  There are firework shows in the neighborhood that would put city shows to shame.  The really scary thing is that because of a five year draught everything is bone dry. 

They legalized fireworks in GA.  Now the idiots that live in nearby subsidized housing will shoot fireworks at all hours for any reason. Sometimes it's hard to tell from gunshots .  They are much more frequent around holidays but it goes on for a week or so after too. Yea there are curfews in the law but they don't I force them worth a dam.

I liked it better when they were illegal and we had to go to Tenn. to buy them. We shot them off on the 4th of July and put the leftovers away for next year.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AJ_Engineer said:

I grew up in southern Michigan, the fireworks stores in Indiana near the Illinois border were always impressive.

Nebraska now believes in freedom (recent change a few years ago) so during the holidays you just have to sit outside and enjoy the neighbors/whole city turning money into noise :D. I once flew in to town the weekend of July 4th and it was impressive watching it all on approach.

Fireworks have been legal in Nebraska forever.  All 35 years of my life.  Now, if you want to get the "good" stuff you have to go to Missouri.

32 minutes ago, mds2 said:

Fireworks have been legal in Nebraska forever.  All 35 years of my life.  Now, if you want to get the "good" stuff you have to go to Missouri.

Most counties in Missouri are dry now too.  As a kid, we could buy 2.5" mortars.  Last time it was just black cats and bottle rockets.  No good stuff any more

5 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Most counties in Missouri are dry now too.  As a kid, we could buy 2.5" mortars.  Last time it was just black cats and bottle rockets.  No good stuff any more

Rock Port, MO is the place to go.   The guy at one of the stands taught me how to make "sparkler bombs" using wire sparklers.  You can blow a tree stump out of the ground with one.  Very effective but SUPER dangerous as all the wires fly in all directions at about 1000mph.  I put one in my storm drain to help contain the blast and it blew the man hole cover about 3 feet into the air.  

The last time I was there they were selling 2.5" mortars, my friend bought a couple.   It used to be the only place to buy multi-break artillery shells, but those are now legal in NE. 

One thing I miss from the old days is being able to buy dynamite in the hardware store.  I don't think I bought any after 1980, but I remember setting off 24 sticks at one time trying to dislodge some rock in a basement I was building.  It was right at sunset, on a big spread of the lake, and the boom rolled around the horizon for probably 20 seconds.  As so many try to outdo their neighbors now with fireworks, 24 sticks of dynamite would make them all wonder who was able to do that.