Replacing belts planer Grizzly G1021

Curtis

I recently acquired a Grizzly G1021 planer via Craigslist.  The motor had been removed by the previous owner and now I am trying to get back on.  I have the motor loosely bolted to the mount but now I can't for life of me get the belts onto the motor pulley. This has three 28" v belts that connects the motor to the cutter head. I can't stretch the inner belt all the way over.  the two outer belts seem doable.   I was hoping someone with this style of planer (pretty sure Ive seen this similar planer in other name brands) might have a trick I am missing.  In the manual is says to loosen to bolts which effectively lowers the motor but it doesn't move it enough for me?  I must be doing somethig wrong or missing something.     THanks!  

IMG_2071.JPG

g1021.jpg

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g1021_m.pdf

The manual has the motor being levered up to tension the belt. This means the motor should drop far enough to to install the belts if all parts are correct. Check to make sure the travel limiting bolt for the motor does not hang up in some way keeping the motor from settling down. 

If Shaffer suggestion won't work for you.  Remove upper and lower pulleys, seat the belts in the pulleys and install both pulleys simultaneously.

-Ace-  

Oh I see, your trying to jump all the way to the back groove. Try placing the belt in the outer groove only. Then hop over to the second, then on to the third. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

This seems the most likely.  Only hop one valley at a time.

Had to do this for sure.  But had to rock the housing one way to move the lower/cutter head belt and then rock it back the other way to move the upper/motor belts.  Was weird :)   But finally got it.  Ready to roll now. Thanks 

• Like 1