Small Maloof-ish Table Build

gee-dub

Brendon_t asked about some construction details in this thread.  I found some pictures so here's what I've got.  I had never done this type of pedestal/leg construction before so I did a mock-up out of some pallet wood.  This also let me shape a few of the feet to decide on the shape I wanted.  The mock-up only had three legs but, I got a shape I was happy with and so moved on.  The mock-up made its way to the stove :D

PedTab (20).jpg

Once I was happy with a shape I prepared some parts.  These are leg pieces.  Sam uses dowels but, I went with a narrow but, fat floating tenon.

PedTab (24).jpgPedTab (26).jpg

I selected the figure I was after and glued up a blank for the top.

PedTab (28).jpg

The center column is glued up from a pair of milled boards.

PedTab (32).jpg

The column gets a centered groove down each face.

PedTab (33).jpgPedTab (34).jpg

This lets me dry fit the parts to make sure I am happy with the fit.  You can see that I've embraced Sam's not infrequent, almost total disregard for figure at adjoining pieces like in the legs.  He speaks of this in interviews and books.  I must admit it almost feels liberating to pair certain pieces of material ;)

PedTab (38).jpgPedTab (37).jpg

I rough cut the leg curves on the bandsaw, pattern route to a closer shape and check the column fit again.

PedTab (39).jpgPedTab (40).jpgPedTab (44).jpg

I put witness marks on the legs to act as a guide for rough shaping with a rasp.

PedTab (45).jpgPedTab (46).jpgPedTab (48).jpg

The 4-in-hand is in the shot but, regular cabinet rasps and a Shinto were used as well.  Once happy with the shape I hit it with mineral spirits to get a look at the figure.

PedTab (50).jpgPedTab (51).jpg

Then I glue up the leg-assembly to column joinery in pairs.

PedTab (54).jpgPedTab (68).jpg

I use a shop made circle jig to cut out the top blank.

PedTab (63).jpg

The same jig is used at the router table to apply the table edge profile.

PedTab (66).jpg

And we end up here.PedTab (74).jpgPedTab (95).jpg

PedTab (97).jpg

And here's that duck again . . .

PedTab (91).jpg

• Like 2

Oversized round holes in the arms that are parallel with the grain, slots in the arms that are perpendicular to the grain.  The screw head is counter bored so as to be hidden.  Unfortunately I only have this pic which is the arm surface that contacts the underside of the table but, I think you get the idea.

au-Ped-Tbl-base-screw-hole.jpg

1 hour ago, gee-dub said:

Whiteside #1480

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

I don't have that particular bit but the deeper the curve is the more grabby the bit gets. Take shallow bites and sneak up on using the whole profile. Some situations benefit from cautious climb cutting ( not for the timid or weak of heart)

Thanks to the both of you !!

• 2 weeks later...