Kiln Dried Cypress less weather resistant??

Dustin Sliger

I wonder why the salesman would say that. If you're not on the west coast you must be thinking of Baldcypress?

I have mostly worked Wrc and Leland cypress.

Western red cedar is really in the cypress family and I have my doubts there would be any difference.In the long run.I guess if it were too wet from the get go Some kinda black staining could happen.

• Like 1

None of it will last as long as all Heart original growth stuff, but no need to bother to try to get that.  I have shingles taken off of a roof that were the roof on the house for 131 years out of the old stuff, and except for being damaged by workmen who didn't know what they were doing, it would still be fine.  I haven't seen that proper kiln drying is a detriment to Cypress.

As long as you get rid of the thin cambium layer, the new stuff will last fine.  Don't use a piece that you can see the grain arc over going up on one side of the board, and down on the other-you will get radial splits in a piece like that.  Other than that, it's good stuff.

We did a roof out of Cypress shingles on the house that the old ones were on not long ago, and are getting ready to start another one tomorrow.

• Like 1