Some Small Shop Upgrades

rodger.

Task 6 - CLEAN EVERYTHING

I spent over half a day just moving stuff and cleaning.  Then I used a leaf blower to blow out the shop, closed the door, and ran the air cleaner for 2 hours.  The air cleaner can change the air every 15 minutes or so (in a shop larger than mine), so it must have exchanged the air 1,000,000 times.

Then I cleaned all bits, machine blades, and and knives.

Task 7 - Tune Up

I tuned my jointer, my TS, and my planer.  I waxed all the beds and verified everything was bang-on 90 degrees.  My TS had some work do, and I cleaned all the innards while I was there.  I had to run the AC again after that.

Still to be done:

Task 8 - sharpen everything hand tool related (plane blades, chisels, scrapers, etc)

Task 9 - clean the Dust collector and filter bag (ug)

Task 10 - Get some anti-fatigue mats or other comfort flooring solution

Whew!  More than 1/2 way done!

• Like 2

I also have that Trend T11 (or is yours a T10 on a router raiser?) and use two vacs with it - the main dust extractor on the fence and a shop vac via a dust deputy on the lower port. It is really effective.

It's always nice to do shop upgrades to make the environment easier to use.

Great upgrades. I always enjoy seeing the things others do to make their shop better and more enjoyable.  When my shop is decently organized I am more inspired to move ahead on projects. 

My shop never really gets super clean but, slogging through ankle-deep curlies can lead to accidents.  I sweep and vacuum regularly throughout any given week and keep things picked up so I am not tripping over or searching for them. 

Thanks for sharing your efforts and ideas. Many of the things I have done around my shop came from threads just like this.

14 hours ago, Pug said:

Task 10 - Get some anti-fatigue mats or other comfort flooring solution

Nice job!  I suppose now I'll have to go down to mine and at least put some things away.

Don't know if they have Harbor Freight in Canada, but in the US they have mats for $9 to $10 which is as cheap as I've seen in stores.  I can't tell you how long they'll last, but they seem to work just fine.  

9 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

I also have that Trend T11 (or is yours a T10 on a router raiser?) and use two vacs with it - the main dust extractor on the fence and a shop vac via a dust deputy on the lower port. It is really effective.

It's always nice to do shop upgrades to make the environment easier to use.

That's an older model Freud 3.25 hp plunger.  I took out the springs and use the intregal depth adjust.

3 hours ago, Mark J said:

Nice job!  I suppose now I'll have to go down to mine and at least put some things away.

Don't know if they have Harbor Freight in Canada, but in the US they have mats for $9 to $10 which is as cheap as I've seen in stores.  I can't tell you how long they'll last, but they seem to work just fine.  

Sadly, no HF, but we do have princess auto.  Might check there.

3 hours ago, TIODS said:

Question on the Kapex..  What thickness material did you use on the back fence?  Does it interfere with the clamp?

Great upgrades!

I went with 4", and it tapers to 2" at the blade.  Clamp is no problem, but it is negatively affecting the DC.

17 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Some pretty awesome upgrades! What are you building next?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Just finished a large DIY project (built in wall).  I may have a deck build in my near future, so not sure on the furniture front.  

I do need a nightstand, however...

22 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Interesting..  3/4 material interferes with my clamp.. 

hmm - maybe I should look at it more carefully.  I moved the clamp out and it seemed fine, but to be honest I didn't give it much thought.  I'll investigate!

They have Sam's club in Canada.  I don't know if they carry these.  I have a few sets.  They are thicker than many others costing more.  They stay put but are easily moved about or flipped up against the bench to get a machine by if required.  I put them black side up but, dad puts them color side up so you can match your preference :rolleyes:.  They have lasted many years without a single failure.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-04-18 at 6:48 PM, TIODS said:

Interesting..  3/4 material interferes with my clamp.. 

@TIODS was right!  Fence is too thick to allow the clamp to work.  The fence also negatively effects DC, so it's gotta go for now.  I will make a thinner version soon, and reduce the height even more near the opening to allow better dust capture.

I like the clamp too much to stop using it.

20 minutes ago, Pug said:

@TIODS was right!  Fence is too thick to allow the clamp to work.  The fence also negatively effects DC, so it's gotta go for now.  I will make a thinner version soon, and reduce the height even more near the opening to allow better dust capture.

I like the clamp too much to stop using it.

I put on 1/2" material on during the miter station rebuild and still had a problem.  I ended up shaving a little off the clamp foot so I could use it..  When I say a little, i mean about 1/16 off of the offending little corner.