Not fine woodworking but...

Chet

20 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Nice job, Chet, looks neat.  I'm sure there's some kind of drought-tolerant flowering vine that you can plant, and in a few years it will bolster your shade.  I think pergolas look cooler covered in foliage too.

WE have been thinking about maybe doing that with Wisteria.

Kev I did it with my jig saw and your belt sander just as you suggested.  There were 14 pieces so 28 ends and it took me about 21/2 - 3 hours, went real well.

Also I meant to give credit to my wife in the original post, she ran the chop saw cutting all of the 2 X 2 to length.

Thats a great idea Richard.   Do you know if something like that would grow in barrels or does it have to be in the ground.  It is going to be a little hard to plant anything right by the post, the footing is 16 inches square and 18 inches deep.

Chet, look into luffa vines. They grow nice big leaves for shade, the 'fruit' makes those bathtub scrubby things, and they die back in winter, so can't 'take over' like wisteria. Or there's always Kudzu.... the flowers of kudzu are used to make a jelly that tastes like grapes & lavendar. Of course, your entire property will be covered by the end of summer. With a bit of rain, kudzu grows up to 14" per DAY!

• Like 1

Looks great Chet. +1 to the grape idea. I don't know how well they grow in barrels but they grow very well in general and wouldn't have any trouble bridging the gap if you did plant them in the ground. The grape vines that my dad grow have been known to jump a couple feet between sections of fence. I don't know how our grapes would fare out there though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chet K. said:

Thats a great idea Richard.   Do you know if something like that would grow in barrels or does it have to be in the ground.  It is going to be a little hard to plant anything right by the post, the footing is 16 inches square and 18 inches deep.

I can't answer that for you, but a little research should solve that!  I live in the boonies, so barrels are not in my flight plan, unless they're full Jack Daniels barrels, that I would have to empty one shot at a time!   Willingly!

• Like 1

That's a great pergola, Chet!

I grew up in San Ramon - not too far from you - we had beautiful mature wisteria growing up a pergola in the backyard, I think it's great for the climate.  It was growing next to the pool patio, so I don't think it would be a big deal next to your posts.  We didn't have problems with it taking over too much.

The only problems I foresee with grapes (or any fruit, really) is if the birds get to them or if you don't get the fruit and it ends up on the ground... it can be a real (sticky) mess.

• Like 1

I wouldn't try to grow a vine big enough to cover a decent amount of that pergola in a barrel . However you could cut a big hole in the bottom of the barrel  and let the roots grow down for more room if you just like the look of the barrel.

Considering your drought prone area digging and improving the soil in an oversized hole that is much wider and deeper than recommended  would be smart. Your hole could be several feet from the post & footing. A vine can easily be trained to reach the post and go up.

I built an arbor and planted 2 muscadine vines (wild grape variety) over 25 years ago. Once it got established I haven't had to do much but prune off excess vines that go in the wrong direction. Over 5 gallons of grapes a year per vine plus what all the neighborhood kids eat.

• Like 1

Looks great, Chet!  Sounds like you have some great ideas above, but I'll add another.  Jasmine is another good and easy to care for option.  I don't mind admitting I could happily smell jasmine all day! Grows well around here too - have a neighbor who has it wrapped up and over their entire fence, looks and smells amazing. Another neighbor has it climbing up an entry way by their main door.

Given the recent rains, may be a good time to plant!  We had several things die last season too - bummer.

Also - this may be a good resource with some ideas for you: http://www.shadefxcanopies.com/pergola-plants-guide/

9 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

Yea ctjboy we have jasmine in the front yard. I really like it too.  Its funny it always seems it needs to be trimmed right at the hight of it's flowering.

We have the same problem as we have it growing around the mail box and the carrier has allergies. I offered her a dust mask and she left the mail on the ground. No sense of humor what so ever.