Ain't too proud to ask..........

Looking to build an accessories table and I want to splay the legs out a few degrees so that the bottom has a wider stance than the top. I figure a few degrees should do the trick. The overall height of the table will be in the 20"-24" range. Planning on using premium plywood with a hardwood piece at each corner. I'm thinking that whatever the taper on the legs, I would reverse the taper on the adjoining pieces (plywood panels)image.jpeg. I'm thinking two faces of the corner pieces need to be tapered and the other two can be perpendicular to the base. Is my planning sound or am I missing something?

My question is: if I taper the legs or corners of this stand, the panels that adjoin them should be the reverse taper so as to meet without a gap. Here is a picture of a mock-up with three scrap pieces. Having been satisfied with the joinery, I decide to add a degree of difficulty by making the base slightly larger than the top. I'm thinking tapering the corner supports would be the way to go.

My question pertains to the angle of the plywood that joins the corner support. An opposite angle of the taper is what I have come up with. Looking for confirmation or another pair of eyes that see something I am missing. Cheers....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

12 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Huh? Is the thing you drew actually the front view of a topless table, having aprons that extend nearly to the floor?

Yes, pretty much. Probably add two drawers to the front. Trying to get some input so as to keep the waste to a minimum. 

Most of the tables I've built with tapered legs have the taper start just below the apron.  Doing this makes the joinery from apron to leg easy as everything is square.

If you're dead set on tapering the entire leg, you simply need to know exactly what that angle is and adjust your chop saw or miter gauge (TS) accordingly.  Also, suggest cutting all your aprons at one time so that your set up doesn't get messed up.  Once your machine is set up, batch out all the parts.  Use scrap to test until you get the piece to fit precisely before moving to your "good" material.

• Like 1

Paul's initial statement was that he wants to splay the legs and taper them. From the drawing, the taper is small on top to wider on bottom?

1) The fact that the taper is wider at the bottom, does not in itself, mean that the legs are splayed, right? 

2) In John's (Janello's) journal, Roger Heirzman Table, the foot print is wider than the top but this does not constitute splayed legs, right?

I'm just trying to understand that there is a difference between splayed legs, tapered legs and splayed tapered legs.

5 minutes ago, TIODS said:

To me, the difference is with a tapered leg, you give the appearance of a splayed leg by tapering it.  A splayed leg would be the entire leg on the angle.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong..

That's what I'm thinking, that the splayed leg starts the angle at the the top of the table, regardless if the legs are tapered or not?

I'm getting confused by the use if "splay" and "taper" in the same description of the legs. Doing both will require a bunch of compound angles, similar to coopering a cone, except rectangular. Really crazy if the taper of the legs is opposite the splay, i.e., legs are larger at top, but footprint is larger at bottom.

Sounds like a good application for a 3D printer that squirts MDF.

The original picture has a splay, and a taper. So, leave the panel wide and figure the splay angle, then add to each top side of the panel the angle of the taper. 

In other words...Draw out your legs with the splay before you taper them on MDF. Then draw the reverse taper on the MDF for the correct panel size.  

Assuming all four sides of the piece will be the same then all of the legs sides that touch a panel will need a taper.

32 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I'm getting confused by the use if "splay" and "taper" in the same description of the legs. Doing both will require a bunch of compound angles, similar to coopering a cone, except rectangular. Really crazy if the taper of the legs is opposite the splay, i.e., legs are larger at top, but footprint is larger at bottom.

Sounds like a good application for a 3D printer that squirts MDF.

I've never coopered a cone. Sounds, well, different!

And so John, yours are not splayed, right? Sorry op for the hj.

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

And so John, yours are not splayed, right? Sorry op for the hj.

Correct. Just the outside edge it flared. No splay or inside taper. I had to look at the original for a long time to figure out it was that simple. They certainly give the appearance of a taper or splay.

2 minutes ago, Janello said:

Correct. Just the outside edge it flared. No splay or inside taper. I had to look at the original for a long time to figure out it was that simple. They certainly give the appearance of a taper or splay.

:o:blink: Now we're adding "flared" to "taper" and "splay"!

Yep, clear as mud ;)

I'm thinking that with all the replies I have solved ( or you all have) my dilemma. If I splay the legs, all I need is the proper angle on the bottom and top, so that the cabinet will sit on the floor with out rocking. I'm intending on keeping it simple as in all four sides will be identical save for one side with two drawers. I'll try to remember to document as I progress. Thanks

2 hours ago, jplemons said:

Yes, thanks. I've decided to dumb it down by only splaying and not tapering the legs. I may hang on to that plan for future use. I came up with 16"x16" for the top and 18"x18" for the bottom with a total height of 22" plus whatever I use for the top. A couple of drawers will finish it off, it will help with the clutter at the kitchen table.

• Like 1

Here are a few progress photos of the splayed leg utility table. I used a taper jig made by the same outfit that makes the gripper push block. Works very well! I added a 3/4" strip to the edge off the 1/2" plywood as the hardwood corner wanted to roll during dry clamp up. Didn't foresee that the 3/4" filler would be in the way when the next panel was fitted, so had to rabbet a channel to make the sides fit flush. The added benefit is a larger glue area and sturdier construction.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Some more progress..... worst so far has been removing material where the drawers will live...what's the hot lick? Free hand is out, hand shake and can't see well enough to stop in the corners. Tried to use a guide for the jig saw shoe, but there wasn't enough material on some cuts and on others half of the shoe would be unsupported. Finally arrived (by sanding for way too long) at a compromise before the drawer rectangles got too large. Tomorrow we'll start making the drawers.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg