How to Make Floats?

Bud

59 minutes ago, Janello said:

Why would you want to make a joinery float when quality ones are sold for $60 bucks at Lee Valley?

I doubt you can make them for less.

You can buy furniture cheap at walmart too, why make it?

A scrap piece of steel costs next to nothing.   I dont have anything helpful to add, other than you might need a milling machine.  Best of luck! I'd love to see the results if you make some.

43 minutes ago, mds2 said:

You can buy furniture cheap at walmart too, why make it?

I don't see the correlation. Because buying cheap furniture vs hand crafted is compleyely different than buying a quality tool at a resonable price vs making one that will cost more than buying...and likely be inferior. 

43 minutes ago, mds2 said:

other than you might need a milling machine

Find one of these for less than $60 bucks and then your comment makes sense.

I get that people enjoy making things vs buying even if it costs a bit more, but this one? Makes no sense to me. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Janello said:

I get that people enjoy making things vs buying even if it costs a bit more, but this one? Makes no sense to me. 

Good thing he doesn't need to ask your permission. 

Why be negative?  If you have something to contribute, great! 

Just now, mds2 said:

Good thing he doesn't need to ask your permission. 

Why be negative?  If you have something to contribute, great! 

That's not negative, it's realistic. I did contriibute... I saved him $4000.00 buying a milling machine.

Good thing you are here to tell me what to type.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Janello said:

That's not negative, it's realistic. I did contriibute... I saved him $4000.00 buying a milling machine.

Good thing you are here to tell me what to type.

I like making my own tools, like many others. I clicked on this thread hopefully to learn how to make a float.   Why not just contribute to the topic in a constructive way? 

Going back to the walmart table example - Saves a guy from buying $10,000 worth of tools.   But that isn't the point at all. The point is to acquire the skills to do things yourself.  Why buy when you can make.

52 minutes ago, mds2 said:

I clicked on this thread hopefully to learn how to make a float. 

And I somehow put the malarkey on this?

52 minutes ago, mds2 said:

Why not just contribute to the topic in a constructive way? 

This is the second time you asked me the same question.

I'm not sure why you have such a hard on for the advise I gave, since it was reasonable and justified. But now your just annoying... like a knat in my eye. Your advise was...Uhhh I dunno...maybe buy a milling machine? How was that any more constructive. 

Back off or I'll be forced to use my ignore button for the first time here on this forum.

2 hours ago, mds2 said:

I dont have anything helpful to add

People who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones.

This will be my last response to this childish game you're playing...so if you want the last word. Have at it.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2016 at 8:51 AM, Janello said:

People who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones.

You directly misquoted me.  Well, half quoted me in an attempt to make a straw-man argument. LOL.  

Hey, how do I make something? - go to amazon.com and give them your credit card number.  Great advice. 

On 4/20/2016 at 2:07 AM, Bud said:

I'm interested in making joinery floats...Can anyone recommend good resources?

this seems to be a pretty good step by step.  Looks like he is using mostly hand tools. No milling machine required. Just some files.

https://mcglynnonmaking.com/2012/09/02/making-plane-floats-part-1/

https://mcglynnonmaking.com/2012/09/03/making-plane-floats-part-2/

https://mcglynnonmaking.com/2012/09/04/making-plane-floats-part-3/

On 4/20/2016 at 9:16 AM, mds2 said:

You directly misquoted me.  Well, half quoted me in an attempt to make a straw-man argument. LOL.  Edit: Removed by moderator

Hey, how do I make something? - go to amazon.com and give them your credit card number.  Great advice. 

Being a jerk and talking about politics is against the rules. You've managed to do both of them in one post.

Thank you for your contribution. 

• Like 2

McGlynn had some blogs about making them.  You'll need a torch or forge to harden it after you make it.  I have started a few but since I lack a milling machine it is slow going cutting the teeth in annealed O1 with a file.  I made try to jig something up with a dremel cutoff wheel. 

TRC made a thread about his floats too over at another forum here (some pictures may not load there, we just switched servers and there've been some hiccups):

http://www.woodworkingchat.com/forum/tools-and-safety/hand-tools/16701-plane-floats-making-tools-to-make-other-tools

I think the plane maker's floats are probably easier than the joinery floats since the teeth are narrower, meaning less steel to remove. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gilgaron said:

McGlynn had some blogs about making them.  You'll need a torch or forge to harden it after you make it.  I have started a few but since I lack a milling machine it is slow going cutting the teeth in annealed O1 with a file.  I made try to jig something up with a dremel cutoff wheel. 

TRC made a thread about his floats too over at another forum here (some pictures may not load there, we just switched servers and there've been some hiccups):

http://www.woodworkingchat.com/forum/tools-and-safety/hand-tools/16701-plane-floats-making-tools-to-make-other-tools

I think the plane maker's floats are probably easier than the joinery floats since the teeth are narrower, meaning less steel to remove. 

I see these guys are using hacksaws to get rid of the bulk of the waste. Is there any reason you couldn't do this with a bandsaw and a metal cutting blade?

Just now, mds2 said:

I see these guys are using hacksaws to get rid of the bulk of the waste. Is there any reason you couldn't do this with a bandsaw and a metal cutting blade?

If you are using a bandsaw made for metal you can cut metal with it. If you are using a bandsaw made for wood, simply swapping blades will not help you any. 

Just now, Llama said:

If you are using a bandsaw made for metal you can cut metal with it. If you are using a bandsaw made for wood, simply swapping blades will not help you any. 

Why not?  I genuinely want to know.  I figured I could cut metal with it if I used the correct blade.  I've never tried.

Why not?  I genuinely want to know.  I figured I could cut metal with it if I used the correct blade.  I've never tried.

The sparks generated by metal working on a woodworking machine might not be ideal. Might be best to have a dedicated machine. I do think it technically could cut metal if you put a bi metal blade on there. I do think the speed of cut would need to be slower however I'm no metal worker so don't take my word for it.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, mds2 said:

A wood cutting bandsaw runs at a much higher speed. You'll wreck the teeth on the blade if using it for metal. 

3 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

The sparks generated by metal working on a woodworking machine might not be ideal. Might be best to have a dedicated machine. I do think it technically could cut metal if you put a bi metal blade on there.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I know mine is marketed as a wood/metal bandsaw (old craftsman), and I have metal cutting blades for it.   If it works it would be a heck of a lot faster and a hell of a lot less work than a hacksaw.  If I ever did use it for metal I would definitely clean all the dust out of it first.

I've used it to cut meat.  While it worked great, I would not recommend.