Finishing plywood

Bevans

I need a little advice on a project. I have made a bookcase out of cherry plywood for the sides and shelves and solid cherry and walnut for the top. 1) Do you lightly sand the plywood? 2) Will Danish oil look okay on it? I only had a small piece left over and could not tell from my sample. I have read that you should not use any oils on plywood. Thanks in advance.

It has been my experience that veneers take a little darker tone than the solid woods, but not in a way that really matters.  

Burning through the veneer on plywood used to concern me until I did some experimentation and became familiar with how it handles. 

Something to consider when you get a chance: Do some testing and see how long it takes to burn through the veneer with your sander. See how long it takes to burn through the veneer sanding inside the perimeter as well as on the edge. Once you get a feel for it, a lot of the worry is alleviated and you will be able to handle your materials with confidence. 

One thing I found that improved the performance of my sander was to upgrade the pad from soft to hard. I use a Bosch 6" random orbital and they offer pads in different hardness. I understand yours may not have this option, but checking into a sander with this option might be something to consider.