Any cyclists?

Eric.

Good looking bike! Great exercise and a ton of fun. Been cycling for about 14 years including some amateur racing for 8 of those years (kids ended my racing career in 2010).

Back in the racing days I was putting in roughly 210-240miles a week. Nowadays lucky to get in 90. Sometimes I ride by myself but mostly I ride in group rides. You go faster (because of draft advantage) and you will push yourself more, particularly if you are a bit competitive.

You are at an exciting time just starting out, you are going to set new records for yourself virtually every week this summer.

Speaking of that, download the app Strava so you can track your progress and link me as a friend so I can see it happen .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That looks like a nice machine Eric.

I have a Trek mountain bike, its no big deal, I think it was around $600 a couple of years back.  I have kind of a hybrid tire on it that runs around 60 psi for the street and then if you go on to dirt and crap you run them about 40-45 psi to get more of the meaty tread on the ground.  I try to get out at least 5 days a week some times it is less though.  I am not as ambitious as you Eric but it keeps me in shape.  Oh and I just traded out the seat for something that is a little more  in tune with my age bracket. :D  Its not a big fat cruiser seat, its still the style that came with the bike but I think it is gel or something, its actually pretty nice.  

• Like 1

Just opened a Strava account a few days ago.  Screwed up the first and only ride by not turning the damn thing on until halfway through. :rolleyes: LOL

How do we link up?  Still haven't figured it out...just wanted to use it for mapping.

Try searching Christopher Brown, I'm the one from Mooresville, NC. I have a B&W profile pic the app must have pulled off FB. I tried it and found myself about 15-20 names down (Chris Browns are everywhere).

The app will track everything including elevation which is awesome.

Eric. Congrats on the new bike.  I have a cannondale that is a really great bike. I haven't been riding much lately, but it is great exercise.  I used to love riding the shore towns before I moved away from the area.  The first time I did a century in one day, I pulled back into my driveway, went to clip out of my pedals, and just fell over.  I guess my legs stopped working after all the peddling. 

• Like 1

I looked into cycling a couple years back because one of my good buddies routinely does 100 mile rides.   I found out that shaved legs lead to a shaved walnut tree and stepped away.  

seriously though, it is a good way to get healthy.  make sure you are properly fitted and work with a physical therapist on your  lower back and neck muscles.  riding puts a lot of strain on your spine and fusions are a common surgery for serious recreational riders.   You want to build those muscles BEFORE you are doing long rides. 

Nice! I've got a Scattante from performace bikes.  I've done a couple centuries now, lots of good hills here in california to ride.  Trying to get the strength back up on the stationary bike after knee surgery...Maybe we can meet in the middle, somewhere in the rockies? Lol.

PM your strava username/email or whatever, I'll try to get on there later and tell you what mine is.

51 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

Eric you getting rid of the vap too?

Yep, almost three months off now.  Next month it will be two years without cigs.  I'm done inhaling crap except for oxygen, wood dust and good ol' St. Louis pollution.

50 minutes ago, chrisphr said:

Try searching Christopher Brown, I'm the one from Mooresville, NC. I have a B&W profile pic the app must have pulled off FB. I tried it and found myself about 15-20 names down (Chris Browns are everywhere).

The app will track everything including elevation which is awesome.

The only way I can see to search is by email or facebook...I'll PM you my email...

24 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Nice! I've got a Scattante from performace bikes.  I've done a couple centuries now, lots of good hills here in california to ride.  Trying to get the strength back up on the stationary bike after knee surgery...Maybe we can meet in the middle, somewhere in the rockies? Lol.

PM your strava username/email or whatever, I'll try to get on there later and tell you what mine is.

Yeah I would love to ride the Rockies.  I've backpacked it before, what an amazing place.  I'll PM you my email for Strava...

Nice bike. I've moved mine around a couple times this spring but haven't gone for a ride yet. I use mine as transportation to and from work in the warmer months and so far it has still been awfully close to freezing every morning.

Are you running clipless pedals? It looks like it from the picture. How many times did you do the slow sideways fall in your yard before you got used to them? I rode my Specialized Secteur (a very similar bike to yours endurance they called mine) for a year before i bought shoes and pedals. After buying them there is no way i can go back to riding with out them.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Nice bike. I've moved mine around a couple times this spring but haven't gone for a ride yet. I use mine as transportation to and from work in the warmer months and so far it has still been awfully close to freezing every morning.

Are you running clipless pedals? It looks like it from the picture. How many times did you do the slow sideways fall in your yard before you got used to them? I rode my Specialized Secteur (a very similar bike to yours endurance they called mine) for a year before i bought shoes and pedals. After buying them there is no way i can go back to riding with out them.

Oh yeah they're clipless, SPDs.  I have clipless on my spin bike too so I was used to them already.  Yeah they're a little awkward at first but like you said, there's no going back.  They're great.

This is the first "road bike" I've ever had in my life.  I was stunned at how fast it is compared to mountain bikes.  I had no idea.  It's so much fun to ride, and very comfortable.  I thought the drop bars were going to be really weird but they feel totally natural.

5 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Oh yeah they're clipless, SPDs.  I have clipless on my spin bike too so I was used to them already.  Yeah they're a little awkward at first but like you said, there's no going back.  They're great.

This is the first "road bike" I've ever had in my life.  I was stunned at how fast it is compared to mountain bikes.  I had no idea.  It's so much fun to ride, and very comfortable.  I thought the drop bars were going to be really weird but they feel totally natural.

Awe your lucky then cause the slow fall is the worst. I did it twice both times about as embarrassing as could possibly be. First time i rode up in my neighbors yard to say hi stopped and went strait sideways. 2nd time i was pulling up to a stop sign and unclipped my right foot per usual. |The car on the cross street saw me pull up and slammed on their brakes and then waved me across. It threw me off so much i lost my balance the wrong direction and ate it in front of probably 6 cars at an intersection. Some times this state is too nice, it's annoying.

Admit it, you just got into it to justify wearing spandex everywhere didn't you:ph34r:

I don't ride bikes or do anything active haha, I just try to not run them over when they're going 15 mph in curves on 50 mph country roads.  Pretty dangerous riding on roads around here, have already had a couple people killed, think like 95% of people driving are distracted with something at all times.

Another expensive hobby.  Not as stupid as woodworking but still expensive....

Any other cyclists in here?

You just aren't in deep enough yet! ?

I have to claim 'former cyclist' status. The combination of cycling and power lifting made my knees start to sound like Rice Krispies, so I eased out of both activities. I miss riding, though. If you have trails, or rural roads with low traffic, it can be a very peaceful, meditative experience. If I were to pick it up again, I'd probably go recumbent. Lower back and crotch tend to suffer on a traditional road bike. Beware the numbness in the nether regions, it can lead to permanent nerve damage! ?

You'll want a bigger seat. :blink:

I'm not nearly as active with riding as I thought I'd be. I ran out and bought a Gary Fischer bike, wife bought a Trek, bought the two boys Treks, and they all sit in the damn shed. Such a shame, nice bikes too...

Oh well, I suppose I'll get back after it eventually.

Best luck on your riding adventure. 

I used to ride a ton for about 2 years. I was doing between 200 and 300 miles a week. I have a Lemond Zurich Platinum Steel/Carbon hybrid frame, full Ultegra groupo, and shimano carbon fiber shoes. This was shortly after I bought the bike, before I put on the death pedals. I was doing a Metric Century (63 miles) for the Tour de Cure and about 25 miles into my ride which just happened to be passing by where I lived, and my knee was hurting figured I'd stop in and grab some pain meds. I had hurt it about 10 days prior on a 50 mile ride and couldn't really walk so I just let it heal for 10 days and figured I'd be good to go. Long story short, I strained my MCL, inflamed the synovium in my knee, which in turn lifted my knee cap about 1/4" on one side, and damaged my meniscus. Went for xrays, MRI on my leg, etc. I can't do more than 15 miles without my knee hurting 5.5 years later. Now I just do local rides around the neighborhood a dozen times a year or so. If I could do it all over again, I'd have skipped on the overpriced pedals and stuck to generic standard style pedals like I used when I was a kid, they allow for more freedom of movement and natural foot positioning. 

25514_10150154557005790_5961444_n.jpg

Lower back and crotch tend to suffer on a traditional road bike. Beware the numbness in the nether regions, it can lead to permanent nerve damage!

Take Mike's advice and get professionally fitted on the bike, if the bike is set up right for your body mechanics bad stuff like this doesn't happen. Noobs get all concerned with the saddle but bike fit is the root cause.

I bought the bike online so I'd have to pay for a pro fitting.  I still might do that if I need to, but I have a buddy who knows quite a bit and he's helped me adjust.  I don't really have any pain anywhere except my hands going numb after riding for a while.  Back, neck, knees, all fine.  My body is in decent shape aside from the whale blubber suit I walk around in.  I do need to stretch more though, that much I'm sure of.

9 hours ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

Admit it, you just got into it to justify wearing spandex everywhere didn't you:ph34r:

I don't ride bikes or do anything active haha, I just try to not run them over when they're going 15 mph in curves on 50 mph country roads.  Pretty dangerous riding on roads around here, have already had a couple people killed, think like 95% of people driving are distracted with something at all times.

Yeah my wife always makes comments like, "Aren't you worried about getting hit by a car?"  And the only response I can give her is, "Of course, but I'm not gonna live my life around what ifs, otherwise I'll never be able to get out of bed, lest a meteor falls on my head."

I try to stay off the busier roads as much as possible, and map my routes to include mostly trail and empty backroad (of which we have mucho)...but I'll admit it makes me nervous every time I hear the roar of an approaching vehicle, and I always envision some stupid 16 year old girl behind the wheel looking down at her damn phone.

But I guess I'll keep living my life and rolling the dice...