mini dust gorilla 2.0

rodger.

Anyone have one of these in their shop? i considered the previous version, but never bought it.

Oneida says it runs at about 600 CFM with HEPA filter and 10' flex hose attached. I am thinking about upgrading from my delta 50-760 with one micron bag.  The delta works just fine, but I am tired of the single stage unit - its MESSY to change the bag, its filter bag is only 22 sq feet in surface area (and HUGE).  I would also like better filtration.

I thought and planned a potential spot to vent my current collector outside, but its not likely to happen.  My neighbors are too close, and will probably not tolerate the noise.

The mini-gorilla would he used for my jointer (6" powermatic) and planer (13" lunch boxer).  one tool at a time will be connected to the collector.

Seems to have lots of positives, but the size of the drum (22 gallon) and the CFM (under 800 CFM) are flags for me.  I considered the next collector up in their series (V-2000 or 3000), but its just too darn big for my small shop.

thoughts?

image.jpeg

I don't have that exact unit, but have the portable dust gorilla which is similar design but larger/more powerful.  In doing all my research on DC's, I found Oneida's CFM ratings low across the board vs. competitors... I think likely b/c they are the only ones being honest about the measurements.  Kind of like some list absolute peak theoretical performance while Oneida actually measures it in real world or something.

I don't have proof of this, but willing to bet on it.  If you look at some of the other brands, you'll see really high CFM #'s that are just hard to believe. Who knows, I could be totally off base with this.

I can say the Oneida I have is awesome - works very well and nothing but good things to say about their customer service.  You should call them and chat with a tech guy there - explain your set up and what you want to do and they will give you their honest opinion with no hard sell or annoying sales pitch type bs.

Worth checking out the portable units too - a step up in size/capacity/power/build materials but not as big as the other models you mentioned - it was ideal solution for me given garage shop in a place we don't own so wanted to able to move it around easily.  

I just pulled the portable ones up on the Oneida site and they are way more expensive than last year when I bought... I got mine during a sale, but also recall a recent email from them about price increases. If you call them might be worth asking about any promo deals or sales coming up. FYI - I paid $1645 for the 3HP portable unit... which is now on their site for $2569! Maybe they upgrading something, not sure, but looks same.

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventory.asp?CatId={AC1122DA-3A28-4606-9B70-189ACD0BC2E4}

I got one a few months back and finally put it to good use this weekend.

Why did I get this one? A few factors influenced my decision. I am not sure how long I will be in this house, so ducting seemed to be an expensive endeavor. That and I was fine only using one tool at a time and moving a flex hose between tools. I wound up getting the 220V version.

Setup took 2-3 leisurely hours. The motor is heavy. I kind of laugh at my "5 hp" shop-vac versus this only 1.5hp dust collector, the motor alone weighs more than the whole shop-vac. Had one or two issues with the molded bits not precisely lining up with where the bolts went in. A bit of flexing and not tightening everything until the end worked. Instructions were decent. Was a bit odd with the 5" inlet, I wound up with a 5"-4" sheet metal HVAC reducer going to a 4" diameter 20' long collapsible flex hose. The cord is plenty long at 20' and it moves around the garage no problem.

In use so far (two bins worth) it has worked well for me. Both on my 8" jointer and lunchbox planer. The window is hard to see into, I did find that you have to shine a flashlight in to really see what's going on. The lower bin can take two or three tries to get up and latched into place. There is quite a static buildup using the unit so I will have to do something about that. It is quite quiet in operation which is nice.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the unit. Will be interesting to see how the molded plastic handles long term.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AJ_Engineer said:

I got one a few months back and finally put it to good use this weekend.

Why did I get this one? A few factors influenced my decision. I am not sure how long I will be in this house, so ducting seemed to be an expensive endeavor. That and I was fine only using one tool at a time and moving a flex hose between tools. I wound up getting the 220V version.

Setup took 2-3 leisurely hours. The motor is heavy. I kind of laugh at my "5 hp" shop-vac versus this only 1.5hp dust collector, the motor alone weighs more than the whole shop-vac. Had one or two issues with the molded bits not precisely lining up with where the bolts went in. A bit of flexing and not tightening everything until the end worked. Instructions were decent. Was a bit odd with the 5" inlet, I wound up with a 5"-4" sheet metal HVAC reducer going to a 4" diameter 20' long collapsible flex hose. The cord is plenty long at 20' and it moves around the garage no problem.

In use so far (two bins worth) it has worked well for me. Both on my 8" jointer and lunchbox planer. The window is hard to see into, I did find that you have to shine a flashlight in to really see what's going on. The lower bin can take two or three tries to get up and latched into place. There is quite a static buildup using the unit so I will have to do something about that. It is quite quiet in operation which is nice.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the unit. Will be interesting to see how the molded plastic handles long term.

I thought the whole idea of the plastic resin was to reduce static.

If you change the port on your jointer to a 5", as well as you planer, you should pick up a lot of CFM.

Thanks for the info.  Any pics of your setup?

• 1 year later...
On 21/04/2016 at 6:35 AM, SawDustB said:

Pug, where are you planning to buy one? I was looking into them briefly and couldn't figure out anyone in Canada that sold them. Seemed like the only cyclone I could fit in my small shop too.

Atlas Machinery in Toronto, or CanCam in Oshawa.

Atlas Machinery in Toronto, or CanCam in Oshawa.

Wow, I forgot all about this thread. Thanks, Rodger. For me in Halifax, I think my only option is Elite tools, since they'll ship it to me. They just started carrying it within the last few months, and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger if I can clear enough space in the garage.

13 hours ago, Carl10 said:

Rodger if your already have the delta why not do something like this:

Hope this helps...Let us know what you do.

Carl

Capture.JPG

I thought about this, but I cannot get Wynn to deliver filters to Canada. :(

13 hours ago, SawDustB said:

Wow, I forgot all about this thread. Thanks, Rodger. For me in Halifax, I think my only option is Elite tools, since they'll ship it to me. They just started carrying it within the last few months, and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger if I can clear enough space in the garage.

I think Atlas will deliver to the Maritimes.

5 hours ago, drzaius said:

Oneida sells filters in Canada & they are true HEPA filters, which Wynn are not. I think they are made by GE.

Wynns filters are not true HEPA? Didn't know that! I've looked into the Oneida filter retro kit, but it's not an easy fit for the delta 50-760. There is no inner ring/flange which the Oneida needs to mount.

I'm not sure you'd be happy with something that pulls 600 cfm. That seems like it's right on the edge of adequate for a planer or jointer; especially the planer. I have the Oneida V1500 (because I only have 1 220V circuit in the shop and it's already used for my 8" jointer). It is great but it pulls about 900 cfm, which is really great. I only use it for one tool at a time but have some duct work; a center run with 4 drops, but only one gate is open at a time.

I don't empty my 35 gallon drum very often unless I plane a lot of wood for a project. A 22 gallon drum would fill up close to twice as often and I don't believe I would want to empty  that often because it is kind of a pain.

Oneida's HEPA filters are the best, but they do need to be blown out with air. Recently I purchased a Dewalt cordless blower which seems to do the job instead of air from a compressor. You need a rather large compressor to keep up with the whole job of blowing out the filter.

Not sure what the size problems are for your shop with the V2000, but the 1500 fits in mine well. Height wise I believe I only have about 7' 4" and the V1500 fits easily under that ceiling joists.

8 hours ago, Randy said:

I'm not sure you'd be happy with something that pulls 600 cfm. That seems like it's right on the edge of adequate for a planer or jointer; especially the planer. I have the Oneida V1500 (because I only have 1 220V circuit in the shop and it's already used for my 8" jointer). It is great but it pulls about 900 cfm, which is really great. I only use it for one tool at a time but have some duct work; a center run with 4 drops, but only one gate is open at a time.

I don't empty my 35 gallon drum very often unless I plane a lot of wood for a project. A 22 gallon drum would fill up close to twice as often and I don't believe I would want to empty  that often because it is kind of a pain.

Oneida's HEPA filters are the best, but they do need to be blown out with air. Recently I purchased a Dewalt cordless blower which seems to do the job instead of air from a compressor. You need a rather large compressor to keep up with the whole job of blowing out the filter.

Not sure what the size problems are for your shop with the V2000, but the 1500 fits in mine well. Height wise I believe I only have about 7' 4" and the V1500 fits easily under that ceiling joists.

My shop is only 11' wide. The V system needs a footprint or 32*48 - for me that's huge space. I looked at wall mounting as well, but I just have nowhere to put it that it's not interfering with the garage door or my work areas.

• Like 1