What router for light edge jointing?

emu456

Hi, I'm new to the forum and a novice to woodworking. I ve done a few easy projects in the past..etc tank stands, bed frame, easy basic pub table w stools. Now that I'm graduating from using screws and easier lap joints to doing some MT and more complex joints I'm starting to realize the importance on some nicely jointed boards. I am currently using my TS w a sled to do shorter boards edge wise, longer board seem to be next to impossible w the shortness of the sled. Anyways obviously I need a jointer right? Well I almost pulled the trigger on one of the bench top ones at Lowe's for $250, but decided against it. I wld rather save up for a bigger 8 inch and a longer bed...Anyways I figured this wld be a good time to edge joint my longer boards with a router. I currently have an older ryobi that is attached to a table, works OK but not very easy to use free hand. My question is, wld one of those dewalt fixed base hand held routers be OK for edge jointing? Or should I step up a notch and get the Bosch plunge which is about $60 more and bigger?

Thanks.

You can edge joint a board with a handheld router if you affix a straight edge to the board and ride along it.

But routers and router tables are not for jointing, jointers are.  Even though the router can do it (poorly), it still only solves half of your problem...nothing can flatten the face of a board except a jointer.  Or a hand plane.  Or a router sled (ridiculous option) or a planer sled (also ridiculous, in most cases).

• Like 1