Custom Sawmill Order - advice required

Doomwolf

My Dad has been helping the neighboring farmer tear down a couple of hedgerows for the last year. He just called me to say that he's pulled aside a few logs and he's going to take them down to the sawmill in Chrysler for me in the next couple of weeks. I'm not being asked to pay for any of this, so I can never say he doesn't love me. What he's pulled is:

1 x poplar

1 x maple

2 x white ash

some red pine, and apparently the log is 24" wide at the narrowest point (I told him to get WIDE board from this one, may be able to make a full-sized six board chest)

Here's the question:

There is also a large basswood log. I know basswood is used for carving, but I've never heard of it used in furniture. My Dad says that, back in the day, it was used a lot as a secondary wood for drawers and runners because you can nail it right at the edge without splitting (presumably because it's so soft). I'm being asked how I want everything sawn up, and I'm not sure what to say with the basswood. Any suggestions?

If you're wondering about the rest, I told him to get the pine milled to 5/4, and the rest milled to a mix of 5/4 and 8/4.

Dad being Dad, he's been keeping an eye on the logs for months, but never told me, let alone ask for help. Now I know why his back's been so sore this winter. 

ash is good at 4/4 and 8/4 for legs and such, i like it for drawer sides and its also good as face wood..the maple is another one that is good at 4/4 and maybe 8/4 if its hard maple, if its soft maple or sometimes called brown maple to maintain good white color you need to dry fast preferably in a kiln. and it likes to sticker stain easily. as for the popular i usually saw that at 4/4 for drawer sides and secondary wood..it drys fast and stays pretty flat in a air drying environment.

ps. i just noticed where you are located,, i believe there is a kiln fairly close to you according to a friend of mine up your way.. ed thomas

So, the logs (less the pine) got sawn up on Thursday so today I helped Dad stack the wood in my Oppa's barn. I've got a before and after pic attached. Some of the 8/4 ash is 12" wide and 12' long. Is that 24bf in a single board? 

The saw mill charged $200 for all this, so my Dad has gotten me a sweet deal. Well, Oppa as well, he also does woodworking. 

IMAG0195.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg

• Like 1

So, the logs (less the pine) got sawn up on Thursday so today I helped Dad stack the wood in my Oppa's barn. I've got a before and after pic attached. Some of the 8/4 ash is 12" wide and 12' long. Is that 24bf in a single board? 

The saw mill charged $200 for all this, so my Dad has gotten me a sweet deal. Well, Oppa as well, he also does woodworking. 

IMAG0195.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg

That's a serious pile !!

Oppa?? Are you german? I had an Oppa (we spell it Opa) and now my dad is an Oppa. My dad is from Germany.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

On 4/23/2016 at 6:26 PM, Doomwolf said:

My Dad has been helping the neighboring farmer tear down a couple of hedgerows for the last year. He just called me to say that he's pulled aside a few logs and he's going to take them down to the sawmill in Chrysler for me in the next couple of weeks. I'm not being asked to pay for any of this, so I can never say he doesn't love me. What he's pulled is:

1 x poplar

1 x maple

2 x white ash

some red pine, and apparently the log is 24" wide at the narrowest point (I told him to get WIDE board from this one, may be able to make a full-sized six board chest)

Here's the question:

There is also a large basswood log. I know basswood is used for carving, but I've never heard of it used in furniture. My Dad says that, back in the day, it was used a lot as a secondary wood for drawers and runners because you can nail it right at the edge without splitting (presumably because it's so soft). I'm being asked how I want everything sawn up, and I'm not sure what to say with the basswood. Any suggestions?

If you're wondering about the rest, I told him to get the pine milled to 5/4, and the rest milled to a mix of 5/4 and 8/4.

Dad being Dad, he's been keeping an eye on the logs for months, but never told me, let alone ask for help. Now I know why his back's been so sore this winter. 

it is not a good idea to have 4 or 5 quarter wide boards cut green unless you can get them kilen dried or have a good plan to dry them, to stop cuping an checking on the ends! Hope this helps i know the trouble i had. Bob

There's some sort of sealer on the ends. Other than the top few rows of poplar everything has a fair amount of weight on it which should help keep them flat, and the top few rows are the crappiest boards anyway.

On 5/1/2016 at 10:26 PM, shaneymack said:

Oppa?? Are you german? I had an Oppa (we spell it Opa) and now my dad is an Oppa. My dad is from Germany.

My Dad's side of the family is Dutch, they came over after the war.