more wood

JosephThomas

Bought some hardwood off craigslist, had a bunch of exotics in the scrap pile, here's a small sample of the ones I have't identified yet...

oBOTkfe.png

This one below is very very dense, even for an exotic hardwood...

QGnNuXHg.png

I love the color/figure of this species...

xPs2S9h.pngzJCoMML.png

A lot of this stuff below, nice reddish hue

u2wiM55.png

those last 2 photos kinda looks like cumaru.  we made a porch out of it at our last house and I have a few pieces left that went into that lathe tool storage thing I shared on the facebook guild group.  I was pre-drilling and the bit would come out smoking!

The second one is 100% bubinga.

That first one, how hard is it? Unfortunately that 3rd/4th wood could be many many different things.

From top to bottom ->

ipe (aka adamantium)

jatoba  (aka adamantium's little brother)

bubinga (butter compared to the other two)

20160424_152142.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The first one is goncalo alves, the last one (the little piece) is jatoba. The brown one (3rd one) is almost certainly shedua and the 4th one, the 3 green planks, might be oxhorn but that's a SWAG. Bubinga's a good guess on the 2nd one but I'd have to see a better pic to be sure.

2 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

@phinds Thanks for your expert input!  The 3rd one aka "brown one" as you called it is one of the three boards in the 4th photo (notice the white "X" in chalk)....I'm taking the photos with my phone's camera so the pics aren't the best, sorry about that. 

Ok, if the brown is the correct color then I stand by shedua as the likely ID. If the green is the right color then I'm flummoxed.

As I look at the 2nd one again, I'm less inclined to go w/ the guess of bubinga. Can you get a closer pic of the grain?

7 minutes ago, phinds said:

Ok, if the brown is the correct color then I stand by shedua as the likely ID. If the green is the right color then I'm flummoxed.

As I look at the 2nd one again, I'm less inclined to go w/ the guess of bubinga. Can you get a closer pic of the grain?

They are brown not green, at least by my eye. I've noticed color is a problem when posting these photos...your guess of goncalo alves for the first photo seems like a good one at first based on grain patterns and the like, but in reality that board is quite red, just doesn't show up well in photos, and I can't find any goncalo alves photos online that have nearly as much red. I know there's a lot of variety from tree to tree, but I think my photography in the shop is awful (bad lighting, bad camera).

I can try to take more/better pictures, but I can't get a better camera tonight... Does it help if i take the photos against a white background or with a known species next to it (i.e. a walnut board) to compare with? (Open to any other ideas). Thx for taking the time....I find it fun to identify what things are and read about the different species (your site and others).

And yeah, the shedua pictures I see online look actually like the same brown tone as those boards I have. Thanks!

White background w/ well-known objects like coca cola cans (a well known red) are helpful.

Also, you can send me small samples if you want (we can discuss sizes if you decide to do that).

The most important thing is to clean up the end grain and compare it to pics on my site. That doesn't always do the trick but more often than not it does.

53 minutes ago, phinds said:

White background w/ well-known objects like coca cola cans (a well known red) are helpful.

Also, you can send me small samples if you want (we can discuss sizes if you decide to do that).

The most important thing is to clean up the end grain and compare it to pics on my site. That doesn't always do the trick but more often than not it does.

Yeah I had forgotten how many good pictures there are on your site, especially of the end grain. I'll try to clean up the end grain and get a few more pictures in the next couple days. The coca cola can sounds like a good trick to help normalize the colors, I'll do that next time.