Trying to Identify damage on Oak table

BrewCrew004

I'm in the process of refinishing a solid oak dining table but am having trouble determining what caused some of the marking on its surface and how far I need to go to restore it. So far I've applied one coat of Citristrip and removed the top finish layers. Based on the pictures I've included, can someone identify what sort of damage I'm looking at in these and how far down in the surface I need to go to repair or hide them before applying a new finish coat?

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Adam 

20160423_155455.jpg

20160423_160439.jpg

20160423_155420.jpg

Typically, the little white spots are where the finish is separating from the wood surface. Even in the first picture where the long mark runs cross-grain that turns white is finish separating from the wood. 

You can seal the surface with a barrier coat of dewaxed shellac since refinished projects tend to be contaminated with various polishes and waxes.  Then topcoat with an oil based polyurethane which is durable enough for dinner tables. 

If you have the ability to spray, it will all lay out with a pro look. If you have to brush, just keep moving and don't over brush and it will lay out nicely too. 

Just re-reading your post and looking at your pictures. 

In the last image, as I understand you have stripped the finish & is it stained, ready for top coat? 

Thank you all for the quick responses.

Todd, The stain you see is still the original color, the Citristrip removed only the top finish layers and didn't pull much color up at all which I was fine with. If I understand you correctly, the white spots/lines are finish (not stain) that hasn't been removed and is pulling up from the wood, right? If so, I feel like I either need to continue with the Citristrip or try what you've suggested. Would the shellac and new top coat really hide the white marks? It feels like I'd still see them under those new layers but I could be wrong.

shaneymack, A full sanding is actually what I was expecting to have to do here, however for the sake of time I was curious if those spots could be addressed without a full sanding job. Sanding down means I'll have to try and color match the old stain since I'm only restoring the table top at the current time. If I go the full sanding route, would you recommend using a belt sander or RO? I have both.

Bob, I cannot feel any discernible indentations on any of the white spots but I will keep your suggestion in mind for future projects.

The first two images are post Citristrip so in theory I've removed most all of the finish at this point. The third image was taking at the same time as the first two so the color you are seeing is the original stain still on the wood, but the finish, which was a varnish, has been mostly removed. (You can see the layers in the box below the table.) This is the largest refinishing job I've done so I'm learning as I go and trying to decide if I've removed all the finish or not at this point.

Ok got it. I thought the first two images were of the finish before stripping and the final one was after stripping with new stain on it. The last picture taken from further back makes the surface look really good and ready for finish. 

Thinking the finish was on prompted my first response. 

If I am refinishing, I do nothing short of remove all the finish and color. There may be some slightly left in the pores, but I shoot for a totally new surface to stain, seal, and finish. This reduces liability of finish not sticking properly. 

Yes, the whitish marks need to go, I am afraid they would show as you stated.

That stain color should not be difficult to match. 

From what I can see in the middle image, the end grain flows into the top surface so it actually is solid wood and not veneer. So if you have to do more sanding you should not worry about sanding through the veneer. 

Good deal. Yep it's an authentic amish built table with solid oak so no worries about sanding through a veneer. Sounds like its time to make a run to the hardware store for a few packs of sand paper and do it right by removing everything.

Thank you, sir. I'll try to remember to post pictures when I'm finished with it.