My jig for cutting inside curves

collinb

Anyway, what I really accomplished today was to make a jig for cutting inside curves on the band saw.  of course it's for small curves on small pieces, but that's all I'm going to need for the hall table project.

When I watch TV the woodworkers cut the curves close *by hand* then sand to the desired size.  I was thinking why not cut closer with a jig and ease up on the sanding. At least that's my intention.

Next step is to make distance marks off the center point where the band saw can cut in for the starting point.  I'll probably add 1/32" to it uniformly to accommodate sanding and any potential bandsaw drift.

It turns on a couple of dowel ends. Quite simple.  This way it gives me an absolute radius center point for beginning the cut.

So while I though it humorous to add to the twine discussion, this is what I was really up to. It filled my afternoon.

IMG_20160424_175258208.jpg

IMG_20160424_175523213.jpg

19 minutes ago, Janello said:

At this point, I'm lost. I'd love to see a video of this.

If Collin wants to quiet the critics he should buy a brand new Ferrari Enzo and tell us that's why he wasn't spending a lot on tools. Post a pic with Heather Locklear in the passenger seat for bonus points.

I'd give my right ....... handed spinning reel to see that!

Collin, the suspense is overwhelming. Please explain how this works. It looks like the bottom 2x pivots on the pine base and the top 2x pivots on the bottom one?.... beyond that I am perplexed. 

I will try to video an example this afternoon or early this evening.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah I don't get it either.

What I do know, though...if you have enough parts to make sanding to the line after bandsawing too time consuming...you might as well just make a template and pattern route everything.  That way it doesn't matter how close you are to the line...the router does 95% of the work.  Or sand your original and use the original as the template for the remainder...even faster.

I'll wait to see what exactly this jig does but I reserve the right to declare there's a better way until proven otherwise.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, collinb said:

Sometimes replying on the phone is trouble.

7 minutes ago, collinb said:

My blade was too wide to do a circle so small. Adjust accordingly.

Neither is an explanation on how it works. I have been waiting since Sunday to see how this thing works. Show us already!

Well will you look at that! I'm impressed, and the fact that you did it without the blade moving. Actually that is pretty cool!

It was a camera trick. Sync was at a rate matching perfectly the passing of the blade tips.

Well will you look at that! I'm impressed, and the fact that you did it without the blade moving. Actually that is pretty cool!

He was in a hurry and I didn't have time to set it up again.

Mine is for inside curves. This is for outside curves.

Even with a small blade thats not going to give you a finished surface and you would want to finish it on an oscillating spindle sander. In which case i can free hand close to the line in the same amount of time it takes you to grab the jig. 

But one day you are going to invent the mint if you keep trying.